Note: After some upgrades and ad blocker installations I’m having difficulty leaving comments on websites other than WordPress. Will continue to try to resolve the issue, but meanwhile please know I’m enjoying your posts.
Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share an arrangement using materials collected from our gardens.
Spiraea branches caught my attention last week and I decided to play with them again.
From the window overlooking the garden the aging leaves look deep orange, up close they range from golden to rust. For some reason the sections I cut are more uniform in color.
This variation of today’s design is closest to my original concept of featuring a nearly bare branch to explore rhythm and curves.
It seemed to need more. In adding Wintergreen boxwood I fumbled the lichen-covered branch and never got it back into good position. Securing the materials in place would have saved extra work, but I opted to keep moving, taking the opportunity to experiment. In the end today’s designs are about process more than result.
I do like this orange and purple pairing, marigold and lavender.
The fragrance of lavender adds another layer to the pleasure of creating with flowers.
The lichen branch here is moved toward toward the back of the dish where it no longer works to counterbalance the rightmost stem of spirea. I decided that piece of spirea could be removed altogether.
Also here an echinacea seedhead moved from front and center to the tip of the lichen branch. Offering interesting texture and color close-up, it did not have much impact to the overall design.
The lichen branch had lost its purpose and effectiveness, so I removed it and the other lichen bits entirely.
In the next iteration a still green cutting of Clematis ‘Jackmanii’ sweeps out gracefully in this version. The originally favored bare branch of spiraea has been removed, simplifying the line. The spare quality here interests me and this is the stage I kept to display in the foyer.
Originally I had planned to use a small companion arrangement, formed simply from a young Husker Red penstemon tucked into a small black holder. It did not add much until I came back to the mostly bare branch of spiraea. Adding the tall stem changed the dynamics and energy once again.
By moving the point of view slightly the composition shifts significantly.
Ultimately I returned to a simplified version, replacing the quilted runner underneath with a white linen towel.
Buxus microphylla var koreana ‘Wintergreen’ (Wintergreen boxwood)
Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower), Seedhead
Lichen covered branch
Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’ (Beardtongue)
Spiraea prunifolia (bridal wreath spiraea)
Container and Mechanics
Small black plastic Solo bowl – vase insert
3-inch florist’s frog (floral pin holder)
2-inch round holder with integrated florist’s frog
Black, green stones
Black glazed square
Quilted runner (made by my sister)
Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and encouraging us to express our flower arranging passion. Visit her to discover what she and others found this week in their gardens to place In A Vase On Monday.