Although I have already posted pictures of flowers in a vase today here is another arrangement.
My garden club meets tomorrow morning and each member has been asked to bring in a mug of flowers to set up on a table for a cheerful spring display.
With this in mind, on Sunday I purchased some purple and white stock and some white roses tinted with the barest apricot hue.
The flowers were not in pristine condition, especially the roses, but I used them anyway tonight to create a round design in a heavy, lime green soup mug.
I filled out the arrangement with stems of Japanese holly, branches of spiraea and a few sprigs of lavender.
In thinking about how the design turned out I would change several things. I would increase the number of roses and reduce the stems of stock. Perhaps I will like it better when the stock finishes opening.
I used the Japanese holly stems around the base of the mug to hide the florist’s foam and it seems very dark and dense. Next time I might opt for lavender or something else that is lighter.
I also cut the roses too short and should have adjusted the other material accordingly. In fact, lowering the arrangement by several inches might improve the overall proportions, but overall I am please with the balance.
The white stock is especially pretty, more fully open and fresher than the purple one.
This was a fun design to create and it is always a good learning experience to work with different materials. It will be fun to see the other members’ mugs. The spring garden table will be overflowing with flowers at tomorrow’s meeting.