In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share a vase of materials gathered from our gardens.

Several late-season dahlia surprises guided the direction of today’s vase. Last week I had written off ever seeing Dahlia ‘Fairway Spur,’ but it turned out to be a true “late bloomer.” Over the weekend a single flower, one large peachy specimen emerged on an elegantly long stem which I stubbornly refused to cut, making the vase a little top-heavy I realize in retrospect.

Dahlia ‘Fairway Spur’ (Dinnerplate)

Dahlia ‘Fairway Spur’ (Dinnerplate)

Another dinnerplate, Dahlia ‘Cafe Au Lait’, had bloomed earlier but I thought it had died back completely in the drought of summer. Then yesterday I discovered one stem in its best iconic coffee-colored form.

Dahlia ‘Cafe Au Lait’

Semi-cactus type Dahlia ‘Tsuki Yori No Shisha’ seems to take all summer to get going. Its autumn blooms are usually larger, better formed (and with fewer pests) and this year is continuing that trend.

Dahlia ‘Tsuki Yori No Shisha’ (Semi-cactus)

Dahlia ‘Tsuki Yori No Shisha’ (Semi-cactus)

There was a good variety of foliage to explore this week including gaura with a slight tinge of red and itea leaves with their unmistakeable redness.

In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

Flowers
Button Chrysanthemum
Dahlia ‘Cafe Au Lait’ (Dinnerplate)
Dahlia ‘David Howard’ (Decorative)
Dahlia ‘Fairway Spur’ (Dinnerplate)
Dahlia ‘Noordwijks Glorie’ (Decorative)
Dahlia ‘Petra’s Wedding’ (Ball dahlia)
Dahlia ‘Tsuki Yori No Shisha’ (Semi-cactus)
Zinnia ‘Cactus Flowered Mix’
Zinnia ‘Cut & Come Again’
Zinnia ‘Senora’
Foliage
Artemisia ‘Powis Castle’ (Wormwood)
‘Pride of Gibraltar’ Hummingbird Cerinthe
Gardenia jasminoides
Gaura lindheimeri ‘Passionate Blush’ (Butterfly Gaura)
Itea virginica ‘Sprich’ LITTLE HENRY (Virginia sweetspire)
Spirea
Container
Black metal suiban. 4 x 9.5 x 6.5 inches. Japan.

Thank you for your continued good wishes for my husband’s health. It’s not a straight path but he is doing better. The garden has carried on since mid-August on its own, literally no rain since Hurricane Ian brought a small amount here at the end of September.

A college friend brought a wonderful gift on Friday—dark and light purple, white and apricot pansies which I actually got planted the same day and watered. The earth in the meditation circle was so dry I couldn’t plant them along the paths as I’d planned. Instead I placed them around the dahlias which will soon be dying back.

In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

As always thanks to our host Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for providing this opportunity to to share our vases. Visit her to discover what garden surprises she and others are offering this week.

29 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Autumn Dahlias

It’s a beautiful arrangement, Susie. I love the touches of dark foliage. Even if rain has been light, you’ve had a lot of October blooms, perhaps because it has been relatively warm and dry. I’m glad that ‘Fairway Spur’ came through for you, even if it was woefully late. I’ve already dug and stored all the dahlia tubers I intend to save with the exception of ‘Lavender Ruffles’. Best wishes.

Thanks Kris, I’m amazed anything is in bloom in my garden. It’s all been without water. Fairway Spur is very nice, but I prefer better quantity of blooms from plants!

2. tonytomeo

‘Cafe au Lait’ became an instant fad when it was introduced. Consequently, I wanted nothing to do with it. However the other horticulturist here, who was unaware of my disdain for fads, procured a single specimen of it. It worked out well. The flowers are not as large as some of the other dinnerplate dahlias, or at least not as heavy. The stems support them well, at least in our particular situation. By late in the season last year, our lack of diligence with staking was no problem. I was impressed.

Glad you had a chance to be impressed with ‘Cafe au Lait’. The color range is so huge that I’ve been unhappy in general with mine. Many of the flowers are the streaky pink so it was nice to get this one. (I’m terrible at staking and mine flopped quite a bit.)

1. tonytomeo

Oh, I did not expect anyone else to be dissatisfied with it. I also noticed that many that I have seen in pictures are red streaked pink, or a sort of striated pink. Perhaps no one wants to admit dissatisfaction. To me, it mostly looked quite different from how it should look, but none of the variations looked all that ‘bad’ either. Ours looked somewhat as it was described and portrayed in catalogs. If I did not know that it was supposed to be coffee colored, I would have guessed that it was ‘ivory’ or ‘creamy white’. It is not one that I would have selected, fad or otherwise, but I can not complain.

3. Horticat

This is gorgeous, Susie! ‘Fairway Spur’ is really interesting with her tangled central petals. And I love the organic shape of the itea foliage – it gives the arrangement movement. Best wishes for your husband’s continued improvement.

Thanks Horticat! It was nice to at least get to see Fairway Spur in person before the season is over. I appreciate your good wishes. I used florist pins (like in an Ikebana vase) to secure the flowers. It works well for the most part.

Oh Susie, every week you stun us with your seemingly perfect arrangements! What a glorious balance of colours and sizes and form of blooms! Thank you so much for finding the time to create this and share it with us amidst everything else in your life, although I know it is therapeutic for you

Judy, thanks so much! I often see my arrangements start to look alike. This one was challenging because I had the good problem of so many large flowers.

The dahlias are a wonderful gift so late in the season, especially since you have been unable to devote time to the garden. Another beautiful arrangement to bring cheer to your home – I hope you find bringing the garden inside as therapeutic as I do. Best wishes to you both. 🤗

Oh no, but thanks for the compliment! My arrangements (while I like most of them) are so unpredictable and unlike what I plan for them to look like. Best to you!

It never ceases to amaze me how you manage each week to put together these perfectly balanced in color, form, and space arrangements. Occasionally when something bothers you and you mention it I might be able to see it, but they’re still always beautiful.
    All the best to you both.

Thank you Frank! I really appreciate your kind words and good wishes! Hope all is well with you. I’ve been neglectful reading blogs lately but will remedy that as soon as possible.

7. greentapestry

Your dahlias have certainly enjoyed this autumn spell Suzie. I love the colour of ‘Fairway Spur’. This afternoon I cut nearly all of my remaining dahlia flowers as we may have our first frost tonight 😢 Glad to hear that your husband is making some positive progress. Take care.

Thank you so much, Anna. I agree–I like the color of ‘Fairway Spur’ also. Was happy to get to see one expample! Enjoy your dahlias indoors. Hope the frost isn’t too heavy–maybe it will leave you a few blooms.