In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share a vase of materials gathered from our gardens.

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

In my garden the pinnacle is when the irises and roses come together, enjoined for a brief time in gentle perfection.

While irises have been flowering since late March, this week brought out the roses. And there it was—the garden hit its peak—as much a feeling as a visual. Every glance out the window, every step along the borders, brought the knowing sensation, this is the moment.

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

The garden has many different irises but only one rose. Passed down through several generations, this rose is cherished mostly for the memories it carries, of dear ones who grew it before me. It blooms only briefly so selecting the rose as today’s centerpiece was a natural choice.

Virgie’s Rose

After the arrangement came together I realized the roses’ companions in this arrangement reflect the garden’s moving timeline.

Hellebores began appearing late in January, Cerinthe in early March. Dianthus came along early this month (April), Iris virginica ‘Contraband Girl’ popped out a week ago,  Verbena bonariensis and Baptisia ‘Purple Smoke’ opened just three days ago. Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’ is full of buds and soon will explode into its glory.

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

So the garden keeps moving. But there’s something unique about this moment when the irises and roses meet again that makes the garden feel like my garden.

Flowers
Baptisia ‘Purple Smoke’
Dianthus Ideal Select Mix
Iris virginica ‘Contraband Girl’
Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’
Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)
Virgie’s Rose
Foliage
Helleborus
Heuchera villosa ‘Big Top Bronze’ (Coral Bells)
‘Pride of Gibraltar’ Hummingbird Cerinthe
Container
Black metal suiban. 4 x 9.5 x 6.5 inches. Japan.

Thanks to our host Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for encouraging us to create and share our vases. Visit her to discover what garden surprises she and others are enjoying this week.

32 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – This Moment

1. tonytomeo

Goodness, that rose is exquisite in that composition, regardless of its historical significance. The color is like that of some sort of bougainvillea, but is splendid with the other flowers.
    With all the different time zones out there, perhaps it is Monday somewhere.

Thanks Judy. I’m happy with the way this one turned out. We’re constantly asking what day it is around here too. Have a great weekend.

2. Donna Donabella

I am swooning over this…I have a few small bulbs and a couple of daffs blooming….everything else is asleep or waiting. So thanks for the early post!!

It must have been disconcerting to see “Monday” flowers after that poor night’s sleep! I’ll try not to send confusing messages like that in the future, Judy!😀

That’s an incredible confluence of blooms, Susie! The Iris and the rose play off once another beautifully. I’d be thrilled if I had a rose that robust. (I won’t even speak of the peony.)

Thanks so much Kris. I love that the rose and the irises aren’t very demanding. Before blogging, I used to be done with gardening after the irises and roses finished, except for sprinkling some zinnia seeds. My summer/fall garden have never been as rewarding.

4. theshrubqueen

Gorgeous composition and documentation of the gardens progress – done at the moment in time when it happened. Friday? Whatever! My inner design nerd is ecstatic…Love it! Is Virgies Rose a shrub?

Friday was the day! I’m so not a rose person I’m not positive, but yes, I would call it a shrub rose. Virgie was a real dear and gave me some plant almost every time I saw her. I regret I didn’t bring the sweet shrub along when we moved.

5. Eliza Waters

So beautiful! A truly lovely rose and all the other garden flowers are uplifting to see. I’m amazed how much farther ahead your garden is than mine… I won’t see these flowers for another 6 wks!

Thank you Eliza. We’ve had some hot days in upper 80s, then back to 60s. The cooler days help keep things from finishing up too early, but it’s very dry again like last year. Once the irises bloom I long for them to stay. I’ll be anxious to see your flowers in a few weeks.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Beth. I am happy with the way it turned out (although I always see things I could have done differently!) Wish I could get to this year’s Fling–would love to meet you in person.

That rose is stunning! A beautiful combination of flowers Susie, showing three seasons at once. 😃 (Roses are summer flowers here!) I love the idea of flowers meeting up again, like an annual reunion. 😁 You are way ahead of us for blooms, but we have rain and warm temperatures forecast, so we will no doubt be catching up soon!

Thanks Cathy. I don’t grow other roses but seems like spring and fall are when roses are strongest here. It’s so hot and humid in summer. Nice you’ll be getting some rain. I’m going to have to water today to try to keep things going. Have a great week.

7. Su

What a beautiful, lush arrangement. It’s perfect! My roses (those that survived the winter) are just beginning to show leaves.

I love the fullness of this arrangement, Susie, something I don’t have the confidence or vase for, and I am full of admiration for what you have accomplished. The variety of colour and form of the blooms are perfectly balanced, as they always are in your vases – it’s lovely! I noted you posted a few days ago, but I deliberately waited till today to look at your post – were you having a busy weekend?

Thank you Cathy. I just happened to have a mostly free day Friday when I could putter in the garden and the roses spoke to me. I intended to have only the roses and greenery but lots of purples sneaked in.

9. Annette

THIS moment is gorgeous indeed, Susie, all the flowers seem to be made for each other, the colours and shapes harmonizing beautifully. Like Cathy I’m full of admiration – your creations are truly special. 🙏

You’re so generous. Thanks Annette. Spending time in the garden recently has been so rewarding and inspiring. With the garden bursting with flowers I wanted the vase to reflect that. Have a great week.

10. Horticat

Wow! That is truly superb! You could not buy something as beautiful from any florist. And as a bonus, you get the satisfaction of knowing you grew them, plus no nasty sprays. Well done 🙂