In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share a vase of materials gathered from our gardens.

The July flowers in today’s offering are the last of the gladioli, old-fashioned nostalgic flowers that remind me of my maternal grandmother.

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

A drift of fading hydrangeas around the neck of the container anchor the sword-like spikes of silken-textured Gladiolus ‘Espresso’ and two other beauties bought without identification, one red, one white.

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

A couple of anthurium used in a Monday vase four weeks ago still in good condition add a shift in color and form to the arrangement.

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

Flowers
Anthurium
Dahlia Border Decorative ‘Gallery Pablo’
Gladiolus ‘Espresso’ and two no-ID gladioli
Hydrangea macrophylla
Foliage
Container
Ceramic Urn Stamped “Vintage 4”
6-inch clear Lomey dish
eco-friendly Oasis floral foam

In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

As always thanks to our host Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for providing this opportunity to to share our vases. Visit her to discover what garden surprises she and others are offering this week.

19 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Vintage Bouquet

1. Chris Mousseau

Your glads are so beautiful! (I always seem to miss the bulb buying window for them in the spring…maybe next year.) and look wonderful rising from the Hydrangea…

Your gladioli look so perfect, Susie, and the hydrangea does a good job of disguising their lower parts. How astonishing that the anthurium has lasted so long!

Some of the glads have been well-formed and this group were very nice and pristine. Others had so many ants I was afraid to bring them into the house! The anthurium has amazed me–seemed very happy in a little glass of water since removing from the original Monday vase.

The variations in color make a dramatic statement for an “old-fashioned” display 😉 I’m surprised that your gladiolas are finishing up before mine even get started (but then I didn’t plant them until 6 weeks or so ago).

These glads were all planted in previous years so they had a head start. The new ones I bought this year started blooming last week and are very small and disappointing. Hope yours will be a treat for you.

4. Eliza Waters

Glads are old-fashioned flowers that I’ve always loved amassed in vases. Back then, florists only seemed to use them, mums and carns. So glad their offerings now include much more variety. 🙂

I’ve always liked them too and yes, very commonly used for weddings and funerals alike. I still tend to associate florist’s carnations with funerals.

1. Eliza Waters

Glads do that for me. They made arrangements look ‘big’ and impressive.
        My mother’s (1947) wedding bouquet was made of carns and ferns. 🙂

5. tonytomeo

My maternal grandmother grew gladiolus also, and gave me my first six bulbs. They were bright yellow, and got tall and lanky because I put them in the shade. When I grew gladiolus later, I started with white and plain and simple red. I like both, but did not bother to consider that I probably should have put them in separate areas, or at lease added a third color in between, such as some sort of pink.

1. tonytomeo

Really? I like white, and I like red, but I do not think I would recommend putting them together without softer colors in the mix. I am no expert on color, but that combination was a bit too much contrast. However, I think that white would have gone well with two darker colors. I don’t know, but having another color in there , even if dark, seems to soften the contrast.

6. Cath

Beautiful Glads, I remember my grandfather growing them. I think he used to dig them up in autumn and store them in little bags hanging on the wall of the shed. I grow them too, and they grow very fast, but get rusty in the humidity and tend to fall over. I haven’t seen a dark one like Expresso though, it seems less frilly than some of the ones I have which are a bit too much at times.

I don’t know about the rust but I read to plant the corms very deep to help keep them upright. All the new ones I planted this year (an inexpensive bulk bag) were rather small in stature and have fallen over. I tried to reorder Espresso but was sold out this year so I only had a few that had come back from 2 years ago.