In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share a vase of cuttings from our gardens.

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

Today’s flowers include the only one of 15 Lily Asiatic ‘Royal Sunset’ the rabbits did not eat last week. The salvaged lily stem had 3 buds, 2 of which opened. Petals are a bit tired now but by bringing them inside early at least I got to see the color—it is a bit of sunset. In fact all the colors in today’s vase would be right at home in a sunset.

Lily Asiatic ‘Royal Sunset’

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

Gladiolus

Flowers
Dahlia ‘Cafe Au Lait’
Dahlia ‘Labyrinth’
Dahlia ‘David Howard’
Dahlia ‘Gallery Art Deco’
Dahlia ‘Tsuku Yori No Shisha’
Gladiolus ‘Espresso’ (dark red) and unknown white
Hydrangea quercifolia ‘Ruby Slippers’ (Lil’ Ruby dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangea)
Lily Asiatic ‘Royal Sunset’
Foliage
Artemisia ‘Powis Castle’ (Wormwood)
Dahlia leaves
Gaura lindheimeri ‘Passionate Blush’ (Butterfly Gaura)
Itea virginica ‘Sprich’ LITTLE HENRY (Virginia sweetspire)
Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’ (Beardtongue)
Vase
Crystal pedestal dish

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

The flowers were styled into a plastic 6-inch Lomey dish. Afterwards I tried several vases before settling on the low crystal pedestal. Below is the vase from last week’s ‘Espresso’ gladioli. I didn’t want to use it again so soon, but it does show how the vase affects the final design. The large vase fits it well but I had in mind a lower design.

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us an opportunity to share flower-filled vases across the world. Visit her to discover what she and others found to place in a vase this week. Peace and be well.

22 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Summertime Sunset

1. Cindy Coghill

Your vase is so elegant, it looks as if it should be on display at a stately home, or banquet table. I’ve been watching a little too much of “The Crown” lately, and it was what I instantly thought of – an arrangement you would see in one of their elegant homes. It certainly would make a statement inr any home.

Oh, wow! Thanks. I really appreciate that Cindy. When I’ve visited grand homes like Biltmore House in Asheville, NC I’ve always said if I were ever wealthy I would have flowers throughout the house. And when I watch shows like The Crown I pause it to study and admire the floral designs! One of the benefits of joining IAVOM is I can enjoy the flowers without ever having won the lottery.

2. Chris Mousseau

Rabbits! Argh!!! So cute when they’re cavorting like puppies or quietly nibbling clover. Not so cute when strolling, coffee in hand, through the morning garden, discovering what else they had been nibbling on… I’m happy for you that at least one of your Royal Sunsets eluded them! You’re right about the vase height – it makes a subtle but noticeable difference in your beautiful design.

3. Noelle M

You did well to rescue your bloom. The Cafe au Lait is instantly recognisable, and the whole effect is definitely grand.

Thanks Noelle. Last year there was some question as to whether I’d been sent all Cafe au Lait or or possibly a Labyrinth had slipped in, so the company sent some replacements this spring. Those aren’t blooming yet but hoping to get some more creamy-looking flowers this year.

It was an interesting exercise to show the arrangements in two different vases – having already admired the longer lower one when it came to the contrasting one I had already made up my mind – and had a similar thought about it being on display on a grand wooden sideboard! Despite the large selection of blooms everything blends together brilliantly – lovely, Susie

Thanks so much Cathy. I thought about trying to stage the flowers using a table my daughter made, but would have had to move furniture to catch the light and didn’t want it to become a project in and of itself!

As can happen! I nearly had to take my photos inside as we had a downpour just as I was ready to start taking them. Fortunately it didn’t last long as it is so hard finding suitable places inside

The choice of vase really does make such a difference, as your last two photos show. I love the shape of the lower vase. and everything in it is glorious! 😃

Thanks Cathy. I’m trying hard not to accumulate more things (well, except maybe plants), but I do wish for some more vases. Thinking a traditional two-handled urn-shaped vase would match this arrangement. Take care.

I love that idea for a course Kris! Would sign up as student myself. Not confident I could teach the floral design principles but I could do the yoga portion–whenever things get back to normal of course.

6. Eliza Waters

Wascally wabbits! Sorry about the raid, at least they left you one… so thoughtful of them, eh? 😉
    Beautiful arrangement, Susie. It reminds me of the 1940s, when floral chintz fabrics were in fashion and pedestal vases were popular.

Thanks Eliza. Wish I could mark off the plants that would be ok for rabbits to eat. I have plenty I’d like some help removing, but not my lilies! They’ve really ruined lots of new things I’d purchased this year.

Thank you. I’m glad the dahlias have bloomed so early. Hope they’ll carry on well through summer. WIshing I’d planted more variety.