In A Vase On Monday – Spring And Coral

Each Monday Cathy from Rambling In The Garden invites us to share a vase assembled from materials collected in our gardens.

Spring arrived this week along with a few days of strong sunshine. It is hard to believe we are nearing the end of a March and I have barely had a chance to wander through the garden. Sometimes life brings us to different paths than expected and the last few months have been busy with no opportunity for gardening. But Saturday morning I took time for a quick dance around the yard. Hellebores and daffodils, especially the Thalias, continue to brighten the borders. A lone hyacinth returned this year in all its splendor, redbud blooms have burst into color and white spires of spiraea sway gracefully in the breeze. Tulips planted in autumn emerged but don’t look promising. The first Anemone coronaria ‘Mr. Fokker’ has opened as has the Eastern columbine. White drifts of candytuft are filling out, creeping phlox has nearly disappeared. Bearded irises and peonies are growing tall and fat buds are forming on the Jackmanii clematis.

And then there is the striking camellia that inspired me to pull together a quick vase for today–Camellia ‘Coral Delight.’ This camellia barely bloomed at all the past two years. This year it is coral pink top to bottom.

Several hellebores provide a bit of contrast to the coral delight. This one came from Pine Knot Farms a couple of years ago.

Flowers
Camellia ‘Coral Delight’
Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)
Container
Porcelain Ikebana vase, Georgetown Pottery, Maine. Triangle Black Wave (6.5 W x 6.5 L x 2H)

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us an opportunity to share flower designs across the world. Visit her to discover what she and others found to place In A Vase On Monday.

31 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Spring And Coral

Beautiful Susie, I’m glad you got at least a little time to enjoy the garden. Thinking lots about you but don’t want to steal time away from what you need to be doing. I’m here if you want to talk or write.

Thanks Christina. Even five minutes in the garden this time of year is restorative. I’ll send you a note when I have time. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

That’s so pretty, Susie, and I always think of you when I see anything remotely ikebana style. How intruguing that your camellia is excelling iitself after a couple of lean years. I have recently bought a new hellebore that is similar to this one but without the purple veining, which adds another dimension altogether

I almost dug up the camellia two years ago but fortunately, unlike you, I am a procrastinator and never got around to it! Ha! That finally worked in my favor.

3. Peter Herpst

I’m glad you were able to find some time to enjoy a twirl around your garden. Beautiful arrangement as always. Camellias always make me smile, they give so much color and require so little from us.

Thanks Peter, it felt good to twirl through the blooming garden. I have come to appreciate camellias more and more because as you say, they ask little and give much.

That’s a truly striking Camellia, Susie. As usual, your arrangement makes the most of its beauty. I hope circumstances allow you more time in the garden soon as Spring ramps up the action there.

5. tonytomeo

Just because you mentioned them, I was looking for redbud. oops. Well, the camellias are impressive alone. They grow very well here, but are not often taken as cut flowers. They lack good stems, and even those with good stems do not last long after getting cut. I have not grown ‘Coral Delight’.

Another lovely camellia. I love the arrangement, the red and black look gorgeous together. Your arrangements are always so stylish. I hope you will have more time to enjoy your garden.

What a beautiful camellia. And so perfectly arranged as always! It seems the conditions must have been just right for it to flower so well this year. I hope all is well and you will be able to spend more time in the garden now spring is here. 🙂

Thanks Cathy. We had tons of rain this fall and winter and it seemed colder than usual but not too extreme. The camellias make me smile.