In A Vase On Monday – A Petite Pair

In A Vase On Monday – A Petite Pair

Each Monday from Rambling In The Garden Cathy invites us to share a vase assembled from materials collected in our gardens. Ahead of last night’s plunging temperatures (17°F.), I collected some of the last camellia blossoms along with the season’s first deliciously fragrant Winter Daphne.

Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’

Daphne odora (Winter daphne)

Daphne odora (Winter daphne)

An exquisite pair of small cream and blue-gray vases were the inspiration to rejoin Cathy today after a few weeks’ absence.

In A Vase On Monday – A Petite Pair

Our daughter Meghan is visiting this week from Los Angeles and at a large family gathering Saturday her cousin Julie gave her these ceramic vases, thoughtfully sized so they can easily fit into her suitcase for the return trip. The artist is Julie’s mother-in-law, which makes them even more special.

Flowers
Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’
Daphne odora (Winter daphne)
Container
Ceramic vases by Mary Murray, Mountain Forest Studio. (2.5 W x 3-inches H)

In A Vase On Monday – A Petite Pair

Since mid-December my husband has had some health issues that required our full attention and energy.  As things are settling down I hope to find more time to post. Meanwhile I belatedly wish you happiness, peace and flowers in 2019.

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us an opportunity to share flower designs across the world. Visit her to discover what she and others found to place In A Vase On Monday.

37 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – A Petite Pair

1. Peter Herpst

I’m sorry about your husband’s health issues but am glad to hear that things are settling down a bit. Meghan’s new vases are lovely and perfect for today’s contents. Although our temperatures are much warmer than yours (brr, that’s cold!) our daphne odora hasn’t started opening it’s buds yet. Glad to see you back.

Thank you kindly Peter. So excited to see and smell the first daphne flowers this week. I lost one shrub last year, but still have 2 that have grown together, making a nice impression near the front door. Hope yours brings you color and blooms soon.

2. AlisonC

It seems we’ve all gone small this week. Your little vases are very sweet. I’m excited that a Daphne I bought two years ago is about to flower for the first time!

It’s helped having some family here. I had several other vases ready the past few weeks but couldn’t get time to post. Fun to get back in touch.

Oh, your husband has health issue? I am so sorry Susie and hope he is improving. Seeing your Yuletide in bloom makes me eager for mine to do the same! And your pretty little vases are really sweet, especially as you know the potter. Thanks for making the time to join in today

4. rickii

2018 was a year of health issues here too. I have high hopes for a happy, healthy 2019 and will extend those hopes in your direction as well. Your little vases are precious and I especially like the effect of the fallen petal.

I’m sorry that you and your husband have been challenged by health issues, Susie, and I hope things will be on a more even footing this year. I’m sure time spent in the garden, constructing your beautiful arrangements, and doing yoga will restore your energy. Best wishes!

6. P&B

I’m glad to know that your husband’s health is improving. It’s nice to have you back. I miss your beautiful flower arrangements and their lively photos.

Thanks Beth. There still are a few spots of red on the bushes, despite very cold temperatures this week. Ha! I shouldn’t even be saying that to you as I know your area is getting blasted with cold.

7. tonytomeo

Sweet! ‘Yuletide’ was one of our three most popular Camellia sasanqua (after ‘ShiShi Gashira and another that I can not remember). We grew the winter daphne as well, but it was not very popular, and did not do well for us.

1. tonytomeo

It was not my favorite crop. Our clients were always pleased to get them because they were so scarce; but I did not feel good about selling something that was potentially risky. Fortunately, most who reported back were still pleased with them.

I’m so sorry I haven’t been in touch. I hope D is doing better now. I’m glad your daughter has been able to visit. Your delightful little vases are gorgeous.

Christina, thank you. Things are evening out, less stressful. I’ve meant to write you but it’s been hectic. Our daughter’s visit helped so much and we’re started to find ourselves on a more even keel.