In A Vase On Monday – Yuletide Branches

In A Vase On Monday – Yuletide Branches

Each Monday from Rambling In The Garden Cathy invites us to share a vase assembled from materials collected in our gardens.

Today I offer edited and arranged branches of Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’ in an artichoke green vase.

In A Vase On Monday – Yuletide Branches

The blooms are not fully open and will continue to unfold.

In A Vase On Monday – Yuletide Branches

Flowers and Foliage
Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’
Container
Hand-thrown ceramic vase from Seagrove Pottery, unknown artist

Quick report back on the Hippeastrum from last week’s vase: the stem was cut 9 days ago and placed in water. While two flowers have faded and been removed, the remaining three blooms continue to look fresh. Four of the flowers had been open for a few days before I cut the stem, so I am satisfied with the longevity of the amaryllis as a cut flower.

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us an opportunity to share flower designs across the world. Visit her to discover what she and others found to place In A Vase On Monday.

39 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Yuletide Branches

These camellia look gorgeous in this beautifully shaped and coloured vase, Susie – thanks for sharing it. You must have a fairly large tree if you can cut stems this long . Did I tell you I have bought Yuletide? There are unlikely to be blooms on it this year but I hopefully I won’t have to wait too many years before it does flower. It is in a pot so I can bring it into the new greenhouse over winter

Cathy, nice to think we’re growing the same camellia–hope you’ll see plenty of blooms next year at least. My Yuletide has been growing since about 2002 or 2003. It’s over 7 feet tall. Barely able to reach it, I grabbed the branch used in this arrangement and pulled it toward me to cut it.

Thank you. I keep seeing white ones around town that are gorgeous. Tried planting some about 3 years ago but they didn’t make it. Will keep trying.

I love the height of this arrangement in that simple ceramic vase. And the colour really is perfect for the season. I do love seeing your camellias every winter. 🙂

Thanks Cathy, I was in the mood to go upwards! The vase was a gift from a really dear friend who has since passed away. I don’t use it often but it seemed perfect for these branches.

Thanks Christina. Do give it a try, somewhere with some moderate amount of water. I’ve planted other camellias without much luck but this one is ubiquitous in our area and has been reliable. My grandmother had one in her front yard that actually was a full tree. Mine is about 7 feet tall after about 15-16 years.

All my Camellias (all 3) are in pots as they don’t receive enough water to make buds if they are in the garden. They are on the terrace under the Wisteria throughout the summer, adding green foliage to the area. In autumn I move them to near the back door so I see the flowers every time I go out.

This is stunning Susie! I always love the elegance and simplicity of your arrangements. Every year I mean to purchase camellia Yuletide as it is such a perfect festive colour. So far I have failed – I must try harder! xx

Thank you Julie. Yuletide grows easily here, while most of the other camellias I’ve planted haven’t made it. I really would love a white one.

Looking at your vase again I can see that the stems are directly in the florist pins but not water. Will you leave it like that? Or change the vase so that the stems sit in water?

Ha, you caught me! The floral pin wouldn’t fit into the vase. That happened because I began arranging and was undecided about which vase I wanted to use. For some reason I became determined to use that green one–the color, height and shape seemed to be just right. I moved the arrangement to a low, flat (and water-filled) bowl after taking photos.

5. AlisonC

This is a beautiful colour, I’m not sure I’ve seen one like it. It makes me want to try Camellias though they don’t do well for me. They spend most of the year with yellow leaves.

This is one of the first camellias I’d ever grown. I think it’s beginner’s luck that it’s done well here, because most others I’ve planted don’t like my garden at all.

6. tonytomeo

There are several ‘Yuletide’ sasanqua camellias at work, but none of them are blooming as nicely as yours. A few are hedged, which takes a lot of work to prune. One is espaliered, but it is a bit overgrown.

1. tonytomeo

It takes a long time for them to grow into trees. There are not many like that here just because there are not many old landscapes, and because sasanqua camellias were not as popular here as they were in other regions.

7. Peter Herpst

Your camellias are gorgeous and beautifully arranged, as always! Thanks for the amaryllis update. I’m more likely to cut them in the future.