In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share an arrangement every Monday using materials collected from our gardens. I’ve been eyeing these lilies for a couple weeks and finally they are ready to share.

Described as carmine red, these lilies were planted in a patio container several years ago. This year they have responded to the wet conditions with enthusiastic abundance.

Lilium ‘Black Out’ (Asiatic lily)

I envisioned today’s design with just two stems of lilies but they seemed to need something more. I added one hydrangea to fill out the shape of the arrangement. The cold killed most hydrangea buds, but a few stoic ones surprised me this week with 5-6 rather small, yet welcome blooms.

In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

Next I added a second stem of hydrangea to the back and right of the lilies and a single, perfect young echinacea to the design.

Hydrangea macrophylla

The echinacea played happily with the pink hydrangea, but not with the lilies.

Hydrangea macrophylla

After trimming the echinacea to different heights and placements, eventually I removed it, deciding it did not contribute to the overall design.

In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

Perhaps it would have worked placed lower toward the lip of the vase and slightly to the left.

The second cluster of hydrangea seemed to be enough on its own to balance out the design.

In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

Flowers
Hydrangea macrophylla
Lilium ‘Black Out’ (Asiatic lily)
Foliage
None
Container
Porcelain Ikebana vase, Georgetown Pottery, Maine. Triangle Black Wave (6.5 W x 6.5 L x 2H)

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us an opportunity to share flower designs across the world. Visit her to discover what she and others found to place In A Vase On Monday.

35 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Vase With Lily

The lily is gorgeously dark; I can see it has red pollen instead of the usual yellow; I don’t think I’ve ever see that before, amazing. The composition is lovely too really showing off the beauty of the lily.

I’m infatuated with this lily. It’s growing in a container. Now in its third year there are a lot of blooms. I’m not a big fan of red and yellow together, so that red pollen is such a good trait.

2. Linda from Each Little World

Using that Ikebana type vase always seems to result in the most dramatic arrangements. My lilies are up and budded (and caged to keep the rabbits away) but no flowers yet. I have a deep reddish black one but it seems to be the only lily I am not seeing in the garden which is a disappointment. Definitely a good move to remove the Echinacea.

Oh, I do hope your reddish black lily will turn up. I’ve lost a lot of plants from the harsh winter, yet some things seem rejuvenated.

3. Peter Herpst

You put so much thought into your arrangements and they always look stunning. This one is no exception – simple, elegant, beautiful.

I appreciate your kind words Peter. The lilies have definitely been great to have in the house where I can enjoy them. The design still feels a bit unsteady, but that’s what’s nice about doing the Monday vases–can try again next week.

Such beauty with so few blooms, and so much pleasure it will give you – you can’t put a price on that, Susie. Thanks so much for sharing ps I think you were right to remove the echinacea!

Lilies already! I’m drawn to dark flowers but find them much more difficult to manage (accent) in a vase than pastel flowers. Your pretty Hydrangeas make me wish I had some in my garden. FYI, I changed my blog setting to allow anonymous commentators so hopefully you won’t experience further problems there.

Seems early to me to have lilies Kris, but the garden is barreling forward, barely pacing itself. Some day I’m planning to do a pose showing all the hydrangeas that have not survived in my garden. It’s a long list. (Thanks for changing your parameters for comments. Hope it won’t cause trouble.

6. tonytomeo

As much as I enjoyed growing cut flowers, I would not have done well arranging them. I never would have thought of putting these flowers together.

A lot of my combinations are simply dictated by what’s blooming. I neither would have thought of combining them but that’s just what I had to work with.

That is a beautiful lily – such a deep rich colour and the centre too. You have definitely done it justice, letting it rise up above the hydrangeas. Lovely arrangement!

Not sure how you mean six elements. I actually wanted to trim a couple of buds out of the way but would not give up the future flowers.

1. theshrubqueen

Sorry, actually I see seven – two Lilies, three buds and two Hydrangeas. Not sure if you have been drilled about odd numbers and landscape design.

Yes the odd number rule is good advice but I deliberately discounted it today. I thought of it as two stems of lilies and two hydrangeas, fragrantly breaking the rule😀

I hadn’t noticed the dark pollen until I read a few comments. Very nice!
    I think the echinacea was just too round a form. Although the arrangement was beautiful before I think it it was even better without.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think you’re right about the shape of the echinacea. When arranging flowers I think we constantly are re-evaluating during the entire process and shouldn’t be afraid to take something out or move something around. Same with our gardens.