In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share an arrangement using materials collected from our gardens.

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

Again this week the prolifically blooming wine-red pass-along dahlias carry the day, supported by some of the last of the summer zinnias.

Zinnia ‘Giants Mix’

Zinnia elegans ’Cactus Flower Blend’

The glass container is a red-tinted champagne flute from a set purchased at a Vietri warehouse sale years ago.

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

Flowers
Dahlia
Zinnia elegans ’Cactus Flower Blend’
Zinnia ‘Giants Mix’

Container
Champagne flute

I really like the impact of the orange zinnia playing against the red dahlia.

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us a chance to express our flower arranging passion. Visit her to discover what she and others found this week in their gardens to place In A Vase On Monday.

30 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Red Wine

Interesting how different this arrangement looks; without foliage or fill-in flowers each bloom makes its own statement; I like that a lot. The cactus Zinnia is so different from the usual ones I have; I can see I’m going to need to buy a lot more different varieties for next year.

Thanks Christina. I enjoy a degree of abstraction and possibly should have played that up more. There are fewer blooms lately so will have to work more imaginatively the next few months. The cactus zinnias are valuable for their shape and texture as well as size.

Hi Marian, hope you’re doing well. The zinnia plants look run-down and well past salvation but atop a few of them still are a few flowers. Feels like summer here today with high humidity but leaves are turning this week at last.

2. Peter/Outlaw

I love the way you’ve spaced the blooms so each can be appreciated while contributing to the whole arrangement. Colors that make one feel the warmth of sipping wine by a roaring fire.

Thank you Peter–I like the abstract effect of those flowers in space. Still too early for a roaring fire here–it’s 84 F and steamy after some much-needed showers, but I know cool weather will be here soon. Enjoy a sip.

That is such a pretty colour of dahlia, and nicely double petalled too – and all your zinnias too! They all look very elegant in the wine glass. After starting well my zinnias were overshadowed by other things and I shall have to give them a bed to themselves next year, I think – they certainly deserve btter and I have loved seeing yours

Thank you Cathy. The dahlias are having a banner year. This one only though. None of mine from years past has returned, but this one overwintered well. As you note zinnias don’t like to be crowded.

4. Annette

A most delightful firework, dear Susie, and I love the vase which sets the flowers off to perfection! You can’t beat Zinnia and Dahlia for late season colour. Have a good week x

Thanks Annette. I don’t drink champagne often so might as well put these special glasses to work occasionally. Next year I must try different dahlias.

How did you get that cactus zinnia to dip so elegantly like that? You picked a beautiful color mix and your choice of vase is perfect. I’m impressed by those wine-red dahlias too. All mine have pretty much given up it seems.

Ha! Kris that cactus zinnia went only where it wanted to, not listening to me at all. This pass-along dahlia has performed well this year, but I’d like to get some different ones to survive. Not much luck with the ones I’ve bought.

I love seeing all your zinnias Susie. I must admit it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between the dahlias and zinnias, and the orange one even looks like a Tithonia! I love the cactus zinnias. The red glass is perfect for these jewel-like colours. 🙂

Thanks Cathy. I’m glad the orange zinnia reminds you of Tithonia. I’ve admired them on blogs for a few years now, finally bought seeds in spring, but alas, did not get them planted.