In A Vase On Monday – Patchwork

In A Vase On Monday – Patchwork

Each Monday Cathy at Rambling In The Garden invites us to share an arrangement using materials collected from our gardens.

In A Vase On Monday – Patchwork

I had a weekend trip to the coast for a college friends reunion. We had clouds and daily rain showers, but also sun, rainbows, and ospreys nesting just in front of the house.  Lots of fun reconnecting with these smart, witty women and remembering what it was like to be eighteen—good stories, some uncontrollable giggles. On our last morning together we managed to practice yoga and meditate outdoors under a blue sky.

Back home in Chapel Hill the garden is in need of a good soaking. A half-dozen gladiolas opened while I was away so I tried to create a mixed arrangement using them along with some sweet peas and zinnias. Zinnias are producing more and more blooms. They tolerate heat and lack of water, though even they seem tired of this dry spell. Gladiola are awkward in such a social setting, so I ended up letting them rest on the sideline. A patchwork quilt of zinnias moved into the spotlight.

Flowers
Gladiolus
Lathyrus latifolius (Perennial Sweet Pea)
Zinnia ‘Cut and Come Again Mix’
Zinnia elegans ’Cactus Flower Blend’

Vase
Stoneware pitcher glazed with bands of cream, green, blue.  (Pringle Pottery, North Carolina, circa 1977)

In A Vase On Monday – Patchwork

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us a chance to express our flower arranging passion. Visit her to discover what she and others found this week in their gardens to place In A Vase On Monday.

38 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday – Patchwork

1. Annette

What an apt title, Susie, and seeing how skillfully you were weaving the flowers into this floral patchwork I’ve no doubt you’d be doing a great job on a ‘proper’ quilt. Happy Monday 🙂

My sister is the quilter in the family, but I have fond childhood memories of snuggling under a patchwork quilt made by my grandmother and being amazed those scraps of fabric carried the history of clothes worn by people long ago.

1. Annette

it’s true, so much history, never thought about it like this. not much of a sewer myself but I think one day I’ll buy one

After reading about your recent weather I understand your comment. Will be happy to keep sharing these zinnias. They make me smile every time I pass by today’s vase in the kitchen.

I am really enjoying the cactus flowered zinnias here, although thinking about it I haven’t had a bloom for a couple of weeks…must investigate. Even though I am not a great fan of mixed colours, it seems to work better for zinnias somehow. Yours are gorgeous and I would have misse the gladioli if you hadn’t mentioned them! Love this jug and haven’t we seen a few vases from this pottery from you?

Glad you’re enjoying the cactus zinnias. I usually prefer a limited palette also but summer flowers have such a varied range it’s nice to opt for excess.

I get the impression the single colours are somehow a bit more fussy and unpredictable too? I do however, have some pretty Zahara Double Strawberry which are blooming really well but are SO short they might be difficult to include in a vase. Perhaps I will experiment before next week…

3. Linda from Each Little World

Zinnias have come a long way! I keep thinking they are Dahlias which I am not really have great luck with. Zinnias would be much easier and I would be more likely to cut them for a beautiful vase like yours today. Really have to think about them for the future.

I don’t have much luck with Dahlias either but keep seeing interesting colors and varieties that make me want to try them. Zinnias do have a similar character and are pretty easy.

It does seem that the Zinnias took over (they do that so easily!) but those white Gladiolas you captured in your first photo look lovely simply lying unadorned on the counter. Your weekend reconnection with old friends sounds just wonderful.

I had used glads last week so didn’t feel like arguing with the zinnias this week. The glads are just lovely up close. Didn’t have time to work further with them though so just stuck them in a glass. They’re happy. The friends weekend was great fun.

5. Sally

You made a beautiful arrangement. The colors! Even thought their annuals, Zinnias are energizer bunnies of the garden….they keep going and going and going. I love your pitcher.

Hi Sally, thanks for commenting. Zinnias are sometimes seen as too common or ordinary but I have always had them in my garden. They last for days and days as cut flowers. The pitcher was a wedding gift (we just celebrated 40 years this summer).

I always used to think of zinnias as simple flowers, but your vase shows off their complex structure beautifully. I especially like the paler creamy coloured ones. 🙂

Cathy, those creamy colors are my favorites too. They almost are overshadowed by the brighter colors but they’re very rich on their own. I should try to save seeds from them.