Six Years In A Blink And Waiting

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

Promising myself to work toward renovating the garden,  I launched pbmGarden with an initial post on January 7, 2011.

Undoubtedly, making a public commitment in an online journal helped me stick to a few of those early improvement goals.  The labyrinth and meditation circle is one achievement from that period.

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

In the intervening six years plants, plans and even enthusiasm for gardening have cycled through high points and low.

An unexpected benefit stemming from penning that first garden entry has been receiving the support of gardeners from many corners of the world. Entering the wonderful community of garden bloggers has been a joy. I thank you readers for your kind comments, helpful advice and generous spirit, all of which have led to genuine and cherished friendships.

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

Snowy View Of Meditation Circle

Today the garden is decorated with a winter coat of white, just a couple of inches of fine powdery snow, though six to eight inches had been predicted. The smaller amount is cover for a treacherous icy layer beneath.

For those of us living in this area, temperatures are extreme, as this forecast illustrates:

SAT SNOW AND SLEET 27°F/ 8°F
SUN MOSTLY CLEAR 27°F/ 1°F
MON PARTLY CLOUDY 31°F/ 16°F

The exact numbers keep changing but frigid cold promises to make traveling the little winding curving roads leading out of my neighborhood dangerous to nearly impossible for the next few days. In the fifteen years of living here, snow plows have come through only once.

Normally I would not mind waiting it out but this has proved a particularly frustrating and disruptive weather event, affecting a planned all-weekend activity and threatening an important appointment for early Monday.  Deep sigh. Deep sigh. Deep sigh.

Lessons learned from walking this meditation path are more valuable than ever today.

Breathe in.  Breathe out.

Snowy Meditation Path

Snowy Meditation Path

32 thoughts on “Six Years In A Blink And Waiting

Congratulations on your 6th blogging anniversary, Susie! I can’t imagine navigating through weather like that you’re facing. I think twice about driving any significant distance even in the rain here, especially as people seem to forget how to drive in the rain during our long dry spells. I look forward to meeting you in person in June at the Fling!

2. Beth @ PlantPostings

Beautiful images! Congratulations on your blogaversary! Weather and conditions are relative, aren’t they? The amount of snow you got is so normal for us here in the upper Midwest, and often much more. And we simply drive off into it every day. Of course we have salt and plow trucks treating the roads all winter long. Stay safe. I hope the snow will melt and your Monday plans will be back on schedule.

Thank you Beth. Don’t envy you living with the snowy, icy messiness of winter–I love snow if I don’t need to get out on the roads. Ours usually melts in a day but this time it’s sticking around long enough to cause lots of scheduling problems. 65 degrees by Thursday though.

Happy 6th anniversary Susie, I see your wind chimes are back again! In our part of the UK we do not cope well with snow either, I hope that melts soon.

Congratulations on your bloggarversary! I has been lovely to see your garden change as the years past but it is your vases that inspire me; every week your create something beautiful. Our friendship has been a wonderful surprise in this cyber world. I hope your fears aren’t realised and that you can make your Monday appointment. Our snow has pretty much all gone now and the threat of more next week seems to be lessening.

Thanks Christina. I first learned about IAVOM by seeing it on your blog so I appreciate that. We had to cancel our plans because the icy roads are too dangerous. Even seasoned winter drivers who moved here from “up north” are warning people to stay home. Trucks and cars are off the road and temps are so cold it would be dangerous to have to await rescue.

5. Marian St.Clair

Thank goodness the snow was less than expected. We cleared our driveway yesterday morning (what a job!) and had enough sun later in the day to melt most of the roadways . Hope you did too. Congrats on your blogaversary!

Thanks Marian. Glad you were able to clear the snow quickly. We’re still stuck because of ice. Some brave neighbors who’ve ventured out are warning not to try it without 4WD. Apparently a large Food Lion truck is stuck in the middle of the road anyway and cars off all along the sides. Time for more tea!

Congratulations Susie! Sounds as if we have similar weather and temperatures to you, but southern Germany is pretty good at clearing the roads, It went down to -17°C on Friday night, which must be below zero Fahrenheit I think. Stay warm, and hope the situation improves for you soon. Meanwhile enjoy that lovely peaceful view of your garden! 🙂

Thanks Cathy. Yes, brrr! Sounds like you’re having to deal with bitter cold too. Our roads are still not cleared and will not be in time to salvage our plans, so just trying to relax. Tea time…or maybe wine.

7. johnvic8

Let me join in the congratulations. Six years of blogging is a marvelous accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your garden and its contents with us.

Thank you Frank. When we get snow here it’s usually 65 the next day, but these frigid temps are staying with us. (It will be 65 by Thursday).

8. gardeninacity

Oh dear. I hope your weekend turned out alright, and that tomorrow’s appointment can come off as planned. But I must say I can’t think of 27 degrees as extreme. Now -10 degrees, that’s extreme. Anyhow, congratulations on your six years of blogging – I look forward to reading your posts for another year and more.

14 degrees now Headed to 9 or 4, depending where you look for information. Had to cancel plans. Frozen is frozen, but I will say no thanks to-10. Thanks for reading. Always enjoy hearing from you.

9. An Eye For Detail

We too have the no-snow-plow syndrome! The sidewalks and all roadways here are never touched..so we wait and wait. We walked to the Goat this afternoon and it was an ice rink! Well, I am hoping to get out tomorrow as I hear the main roads are just fine. Hope you are ok and will be able to keep that appointment tomorrow….

Libby, glad you had a chance to get out for a bit. We cancelled our plans but I’d rather be safe. By the end of the week it will feel like spring.

10. Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening

Happy Blog Anniversary! The time sure does go by quickly, doesn’t it? Blogging is a nice way of keeping track of the garden and does inspire us to get out there and try new things. Your labyrinth and meditation circle is a result of that, along with your passion for the outdoors! I have enjoyed your posts over the years and look forward to more! Keep warm. We are under 7.2 inches of snow here so I feel your pain!

Thank you for the good wishes and I appreciate your interest in my little corner of the world. The ice is still treacherous for driving here but finally will begin to thaw today and by Thursday we’ll be near 70–my kind of weather! Stay warm and safe and thanks for reading.

11. rickii

The weather has interfered with several planned activities here, too. I feel sorry for those who made party preparations then had to cancel at the last minute. Your blog is a bright spot in my computer time…long may you write.

12. P&B

I hope your camellias pull through this harsh winter. I love to see their photos. Here in the North East we are used to snow and extreme cold, it’s a matter of how high the snow is going to be. Temperature sensitive plants stay in the pots, even figs.

I’m worried about the camellias. Gave the 5 new ones extra mulch but they haven’t been in the ground very long. We get these extreme temps every 3-4 years. Thawing out today and spring like by Friday. Hope you stay safe and warm through the winter.

Congratulations, what an achievement, blogging for 6 years. I too have been delighted to make friends from round the world who share my passion.
    Your garden looks lovely in the snow but how frustrating having to cancel your plans. Let’ s hope it doesn’ t last long. In the meantime keep warm.

We’re thawing at last and I was able to get out on the roads today finally. Much warmer for the rest of the week. Garden blogging is a rich experience. The full extent is something I couldn’t have imagined when I began timidly posting 6 years ago.