In A Vase On Monday—Red Song

In A Vase On Monday - Red Song

In A Vase On Monday – Red Song

I begin the week by joining Cathy with In A Vase On Monday, an opportunity to share an arrangement using materials collected from the garden.

Camellias were tucked into corners and crevices and centerpieces for accents on Thursday as we celebrated Thanksgiving at our house with my two younger sisters. I cut more camellias yesterday to star in this week’s arrangement.

Pink Camellia sasanqua ‘Hana-Jiman’ continues to bloom, releasing pleasant drifts of fragrance. The scent of Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’ is less distinct but the shrub’s prolific red bloom is exceptional this November.

In A Vase On Monday - Red Song

In A Vase On Monday – Red Song

Camellia sasanqua ‘Hana-Jiman’
Camellia sasanqua ‘Yuletide’
Chrysanthemum

In A Vase On Monday - Red Song

In A Vase On Monday – Red Song

Unfortunately after photographing the camellias I broke one of these little liqueur glasses used as vases, which makes me very sad. The glasses are part of a set of six (now five), a long-ago wedding gift from a special friend.

In A Vase On Monday - Red Song

In A Vase On Monday – Red Song

For Thanksgiving I made a rare cut flower purchase of two dozen roses—one bunch was coral orange and the other a sunset yellow. I am not a huge fan of florist roses but these colors drew me in and seemed so appropriate for the holiday.

Roses-Thanksgiving 2016

Roses-Thanksgiving 2016

Roses-Thanksgiving 2016

Roses-Thanksgiving 2016

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting and giving us a chance to express our flower arranging passion. Visit her  to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

36 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Red Song

1. Marian St.Clair

It’s amazing the Sasanquas have so many blooms despite the drought. My Japonicas, however, have fewer buds than usual. ‘Yuletide’ is certainly very perky. Does your Hana-Jiman have any fragrance?

Yes, Hana-Jiman has a very distinctive fragrance, rather sweet, slightly spicy. It’s much more prominent than that of Yuletide. We finally had rain here before Thanksgiving, but it doesn’t seem to have made much impact. Still very dry.

Yuletide is lovely; they have it in the Nursery here and I am tempted but I should wait to see how the white one I’ve just purchased fares during the summer.

I purchased Yuletide more than a dozen years ago. It’s been reliable but this year it has really been outstanding. I would love to have a white camellia. Hope yours does well Christina.

Yuletide seems to be the perfect shrub to have for ths time of year – what beautiful blooms, and with it flowering you can afford to be generus when you cut them for your Thanksgiving festivities. How long will it go ion flowering for? What a shame about the damage to your glasses, but even with the 5 you will still have the link with the friend that gave them to you. I love your deceptively simple arrangements as they are so elegant – thanks for sharing

4. An Eye For Detail

I’m amazed the flowers are in such good shape! All my Camellia flowers look bedraggled and rough around the edges; certainly not fit for cutting and displaying! But they do add so much color to the garden and we are fortunate to be able to grow them! Are those tiny green pebbles in the glasses?
    Yes, I agree about store bought roses but you chose just the right colors! They are gorgeous.
    See you tomorrow?

The cold has damaged many camellias here also Libby but new buds seem to open daily. Yes, I thought I’d use the green stones to hide the stems. We may have an appointment tomorrow, but if at all possible I plan to attend. Brie should be an interesting speaker.

5. rickii

The little individual “vases” show each bloom (or two) off to perfection (sorry about the broken one, I am always so sad when that happens). Our only Camelia was labeled ‘Yuletide’ but turned out to be pink instead. Lesson learned: if interested in the flowering, buy when in bloom. After seeing yours, I think it’s worth another try.

6. Kris Peterson

The roses are beautiful and the ‘Yuletide’ blooms herald the start of the holiday season better than any parade, Susie. Your post sent me outside to give my own noID Camellia sasanquas a good sniff to see if I could detect any fragrance I’d missed over the years here. One does have a very light scent, noticeable only when I stuck my nose directly into the bloom. The others, sadly, appear to be completely scent-less.

The red Camellias are the perfect colour for the season Susie. They look so pretty in your glasses – such a shame one is broken, but there is a German saying ‘Scherben bringen Glück’ – broken pieces (glass or crockery) bring good luck! 😉

Thanks for turning the glass mishap into good fortune Cathy! My husband studies German–I’ll have to work that phrase into conversation this week.

Then I must tell you of the old German tradition here too when couples marry – the evening before the wedding they receive visitors at their new home (or parents’ home), with brooms and dustpan in hand, and the guests bring old crockery with them to throw on the ground! It is great fun! But I think it is slowly dying out. But maybe that is where the saying originated…

8. karen

I’ve seen the Yuletide camellia in the local nursery and now I’ve seen your arrangements i shall go out and treat myself! I have some vouchers that I won in an rhs container planting competition last year and I’ve been looking for something special to spend them on. I love the warm shades in those roses too, by the way. Always cheerful to have bright colours in the house.

9. Edinburgh Garden Diary

I remember these lovely camellias of yours from last year. I even wrote down the name ‘Hana-jiman’ in case an opportunity arose to buy one. It hasn’t yet, but thank you for reminding me once more that I’d like to own one! And ‘Yuletide’ is just glorious, and very appropriately named.

Yes, it was great to spend Thanksgiving with family. I fussed with flowers perhaps a few minutes too long and got behind schedule, but it all worked out in the end.

I never realised that Camellia sasanqua was fragrant, I must go and sniff my pink one. They are perfect for arrangements and I love Yuletide. The roses are such a lovely warm glowing colour.

Perhaps not all sasanquas carry a scent. Both of these are easily detectable and I’m not particularly sensitive to smell. Hana-Jiman is especially fragrant.

11. Beth @ PlantPostings

Oh gosh, I love Camellias (we can’t grow them here). So sorry to hear about the broken vase! Do you think you can find a replacement or a nearly identical one? The orange roses are beautiful, too, and perfect for Thanksgiving!