In A Vase On Monday—Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

Each Monday brings the chance to join Cathy’s In A Vase On Monday to share an arrangement using materials gathered from the garden.

I am late preparing today’s vase, but managed to assemble a quick contribution featuring maturing stems of Callicarpa americana (American Beautyberry), a shrub native to the southeastern United States. Here is the arrangement from a different side.

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

To pair with the purplish-magenta of the ripened callicarpa berries, I included  a large stalk of Phlox paniculata ‘Nicky.’

Phlox paniculata 'Nicky,' American Beautyberry, Marigold

Phlox paniculata ‘Nicky,’ American Beautyberry, Marigold

Multiple stems of light pink Physostegia virginiana (Obedient Plant) act as a foil to soften the brash hues, then a few bright yellow zinnias and French marigolds add more dashes of color.

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

Obedient Plant, American Beautyberry, Zinnia, Marigold

Obedient Plant, American Beautyberry, Zinnia, Marigold

Photographing the arrangement was relegated to the screened porch so we would not have to be picking up little berries all week.

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

To hold the heavy stems of berries in place I used the larger Perfect Arranger floral holder, which in turn was secured to the container with floral clay adhesive. If I had had more time I might have worried about hiding the mechanics, but I think the Perfect Arranger is interesting and does not detract.

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

Callicarpa americana (American Beautyberry)
Phlox paniculata ‘Nicky’ (tall garden phlox)
Physostegia virginiana (Obedient Plant)
Zinnia ‘Cut and Come Again Mix’
Zinnia ‘Burpeeana Giants Mix’
Zinnia elegans ‘Cactus Flower Blend’
Round shallow ceramic bowl
Perfect Arranger floral holder
Floral clay adhesive

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday - Beautyberry

In A Vase On Monday – Beautyberry

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly chance to express our flower arranging passion. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

37 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Beautyberry

Thank you. I tried using beautyberry another time when all the berries were ripe and they were falling off like crazy. This partial stage seems to work better.

Between you and me I don’t really love this shrub, but bought it when trying to add more natives. The branches are spectacular this time of year though.

That phlox has done better than expected in its first year. Hope it can live up to the grand plans I have for it Judy. The obedient plant has flopped over but is one of the few things blooming now.

1. Beth @ PlantPostings

Oh gosh, I love Beautyberry and I’m planning to add it to my landscape next spring. Your arrangement is stunning and it looks great in all the locations, but especially on that beautiful glass table! Bravo!

2. rickii

I love the touches of orange contrasting with the purples and the wands of beautyberry extending beyond the central mass. Very lovely and artistic (no surprise there).

Thank you Ricki, so kind. I’ve used zinnias and marigolds the last several weeks so tried at first to avoid including them but that beautyberry purple really needed some friends.

Lovely! I’d wondered if those Callicarpa berries drop when the branches are cut. I still covet the plant. For some reason, I was convinced that they don’t grow here (perhaps because I can’t remember ever seeing the plants in local garden centers). However, I recently checked my western garden guide and found out that some species (although not C. americana) will not only grow in my climate but they can also make do with a moderate amount of water. So, I’m on the hunt!

Kris, I don’t trust those berries so have left the arrangement outside, although it won’t last as long. Hope you find one to try. I planted this one many years ago but it was overtaken by a large evergreen tree. We lost that tree eventually and surprise! The callicarpa had been biding its time.

I was worried when I didn’t your post yesterday, I would have emailed today, I’m glad all is well. The Beauty berries are gorgeous, maybe I should try to grow it, the berries form such lovely arches. I also like seeing the ‘perfect arranger’, I must try to find it here.

Thanks for worrying about me. That is so sweet. Had one last beach trip–a long weekend with some college friends–and didn’t have time to prepare a post in advance. Playing catch-up now. I honestly prefer the Asian beautyberry as the berries are more prominently displayed. These are hidden by large leaves, at this stage anyway.

This is amazing Susie! The beautyberry is a real eyecatcher, and the splashes of colour are unexpected surprises for the eye. I do love the overall shape too. Interesting to see the ‘mechanics’, so glad you didn’t hide them!

Thanks Cathy! The long branches filled the screen porch and I’ve had to leave the arrangement outside where it won’t last quite as long, but there’s no room for it inside. The berries are so garish I had to try to do something to show them off.

What a beautiful display Susie. We grow Callicarpa here and I have one, but it is never as laden with berries as the ones I see on American blogs. And the flowers you have chosen are perfect with it. Such flair, my dear!

Thank you Liz. The choices for vases are dwindling quicker than I’d expected so fell back to more zinnias and marigolds to keep company with the callicarpa. It is covered with leaves right now so I had to remove each one carefully and try not to knock off the berries!

7. An Eye For Detail

Just love that “perfect arranger”!!! You caught those branches and berries at just the right time and they look lovely, Susie. My Physostegia is looking so sad I couldn’t possibly cut to show it!

I had wondered if you were OK too – glad you had a good day out though! Your callicarpa is subtly different from the one generally grown in the UK – we definitely don’t have those long arching stems. No wonder you call it ‘Beauty berry’ – it is such a good accompaniment to the phlox and physostegia and others and a shame you are not able to fully apppreciate inside!

Thanks Cathy, I very much appreciate your concern. Was away a few days with some college girlfriends at the beach and did not have a chance to prepare a vase ahead of time (but didn’t want to miss participating). I looked up “callicarpa UK” and ‘Profusion’ shows up. It does look different. My garden is shutting down so it was nice to be able to use the beautyberry branches.