In A Vase On Monday—Hydrangea Gift

In A Vase On Monday - Hydrangea Gift

In A Vase On Monday – Hydrangea Gift

Monday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday.

I confess the hydrangeas in my vase today are not actually from my garden but still are quite local. They grew just a couple of houses away at my neighbor Eileen’s. She showed up at the back gate several days ago bearing freshly cut blooms.

Eileen said she remembered how much I have admired them in summers past and that, like mine, her hydrangea bushes had not bloomed the previous two years. This is a good year for hydrangeas though and what a wonderful surprise to enjoy these richly colored flowers from a friend.

In A Vase On Monday – Hydrangea Gift

Hydrangeas seem to arrange themselves. They are quite adaptable and pleasing in any vase.  I chose the light mint green ceramic one acquired at the spring neighborhood yard sale. It has a lid with holes, a sort of built-in frog to hold the stems in place.

In A Vase On Monday - Hydrangea Gift

In A Vase On Monday – Hydrangea Gift

Many thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower obsession. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and other gardeners are placing In A Vase On Monday.

30 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Hydrangea Gift

What a lovely gift and one you’ll be able to enjoy for a long time as you could dry them slowly to keep for winter after enjoying them fresh at the moment.

That’s a great idea. Once before I was able to keep some, but another time they didn’t age gracefully over time. Will definitely try it with these hydrangeas.

The stronger colours look so attractive, don’t they? Your vase sounds really useful if it has that removable lid as it is a different shape from the more usual shorter, squatter ones with holes in the top. Thanks for sharing – and celebrating neighbour friendship too 🙂

I do prefer the stronger colors. The vase lid sits on top of the vase much the way a cookie jar lid would do and it works pretty well. To add water to the flowers one has to be careful to lift up the lid, bring up the entire arrangement though.

3. Donna@Gardens Eye View

Your friend is indeed wonderful gifted those incredible hydrangeas to you! I love hydrangeas and it appears mine are going to bloom. Short but still blooming. They do seem to arrange themselves, don’t they!

It is nice to have neighbors interested in gardening. Many people around are busy with other things and just do the basic mow and blow routine.

4. joanna

That is a good neighbour to have !
    Hydrangeas are so colourful – must be great to go out into the garden an pick them.
    Nice that you had a white one in there as well, to set off the vibrant colours.

Yes, she is a good neighbor. Neither of us had hydrangeas blooming the past two years due to cold snaps in early spring, so we’re both enjoying them this year. The whitish one is a lacecap I think.

5. Kris Peterson

I do so miss Hydrangeas but planting them here would be a death sentence. You balanced the colors beautifully in your vase but of course I expect no less from you!

Kris, thank you very much. I just used all the hydrangeas she brought and the colors work so well together. This is the first year my own hydrangeas have bloomed but I’m already tired of watering them. They get too much afternoon sun and wilt terribly if I don’t water.

They are so fresh and perfect Susie! What a lovely present. You must have good neighbours. The vase is exactly the kind of thing (with the holes at the top) that I’ve been looking for. Stylish and elegant as always with your vases!