In A Vase On Monday—Cherished Red

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

Each Monday brings the chance to join Cathy’s In A Vase On Monday to share an arrangement using materials gathered from the garden.

As frequent readers will know, I admire and value pass-alongs and the memories they contain. For today’s design I have featured cut peonies in a striking red color. These were shared by a friend last week and came from a plant originally grown by her mother.

A search to learn the name of the peony yielded dozens of possibilities, so I nicknamed it ‘Cherished Red’ for today.

Peony, foxglove and cilantro

Peony, foxglove and cilantro

Recently in other Monday vases I have seen herbs used to create a soft, airy effect. I used last year’s cilantro that has been flowering for several weeks to lighten the red.

From my peonies I cut several stems of P. ‘Festiva Maxima’ and a pink anonymous one. A branch of Ruby Glow Foxglove broken during a severe evening storm provided more blooms than I would have ventured to cut myself.

Pink and white peonies and foxglove grown in pbmGarden

Pink and white peonies and foxglove grown in pbmGarden

The red peonies had lovely long stems, but not so the others. To use them all I divided the flowers between two ceramic containers of differing heights. The only foliage used was a small number of peony leaves kept on the stems to help keep them fresh (a tip I picked up from a floral designer’s talk last month).

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

Here is another view after giving each vase a quarter turn.

Vases rotated a quarter-turn

Vases rotated a quarter-turn

I perhaps like the overhead view best.

In A Vase On Monday - Overhead view

In A Vase On Monday – Overhead view

Materials List

Coriander (cilantro)
Digitalis Foxlight ‘Ruby Glow’ (Ruby Glow Foxglove)
Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’ (white)
Paeonia (pink peony, name unknown)
Paeonia (red double peony, name unknown)

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower arranging addiction. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday and feel free to join in.

41 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Cherished Red

1. annjrippin

I love red and I love Kaffe Fassett’s advice – don’t just use one use fifty different shades of red. It is great advice for making things sparkle especially with a dash of lime green.

2. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread

This is another example of your design skills, and you used one of my favorite plants, the peony. Mine have leaves and that is it right now, so I really enjoy seeing your beautiful blooms. And, it is truly wonderful that the red ones were shared by a friend who received the plant from her mother. Nice. 🙂

Thanks Judy. We’ve had some cooler than normal days mixed in this spring and it has helped keep the peonies around longer. They’ve been a wonder to behold this year–hope yours will be opening soon.

Your ‘Cherished Red’ (and your vases overall) are super. I do admire the way you are always so good at arranging and staging your vases. For me the best touch was the little bit of coriander – but that foxglove is wonderful! I can see why you would not normally cut much of it. .

Appreciate your comment Cathy. Photographing the vases is difficult for me, always a bit unpredictable, but I like having the Monday vases as a challenge. That foxglove is new this year and is really performing well. Not sure if by cutting some it will be stimulated to continue blooming.

My reaction when I first saw your vase was “Wow”!! That deep red is gorgeous and perfect with the white coriander. The foxglove is a beautiful colour too; did you grow it from seed? and does it come back each year?

Hi Christina, I really like that foxglove too. Bought three as plants at a garden center early in spring and have been happy with its color. I’ve never had a foxglove come back, although I tried sprinkling seeds from several last year.

5. Kristin

Gorgeous entries! When we lived in PA, I couldn’t keep my foxglove in check. Here in Missouri, my yard must be too dry or my soil too darn much clay. I love seeing yours, and isn’t it nice of storms that they sometimes give us the chance to bring in flowers we might otherwise not want to sacrifice.

Thanks Kristin. Would be a nice problem to have trying to keep foxglove in check. The storm was so strong the other night I’m surprised it didn’t take more blooms to the ground, but was happy to bring in the foxglove for a vase.

6. Stephi

So beautiful, and not just the colors but the texture of the arrangement. Also, when you have a plant from a friend it always brings good memories.

Thanks Stephi. It was indeed nice to get cut flowers from my friend. She brought some other plants that went into the ground this weekend and I shared some with her.

The pink red shade of the dark peony is lovely – assuming the photo shows it in its true light! And the foxglove is a wonderful colour – I think we will all be coveting that one! Thanks for sharing

Hi Cathy, yes that color is pretty accurate, leaning a bit toward magenta in bright light. Glad I happened upon that foxglove at the garden center in early spring. Took a chance on the color but would definitely choose it again.

8. Hannah

I have pass-along peonies from my mother-in-law and enjoy them every year, Susie. I like your full rounded arrangements, and the foxgloves add a nice touch of smaller flowers, as well as the wispy Cilantro flowers. I have a pink poufy peony as well, I will have to check its progress for cutting, yours is so pretty in the vase.

Thanks Hannah, pass-alongs are so special. Hope you’re having a good peony season. Our weather has been cooler than usual this spring so the peonies have lingered–such a treat.

9. Kris Peterson

Peonies are beautiful in all their incarnations and you’ve accentuated them perfectly with the foxgloves and cilantro flowers. The round shapes of the two vases ties them together well as a vignette too. I expect you have a massive vase collection, Susie!

I know you’re an admirer of peonies Kris, so you’ll understand how wonderful it was to have a friend bring me this large bouquet. Am pleased with that foxglove this year. The cilantro never was usable last year (bolted right away) but it has been flowering for a few weeks this spring. I needed the pot for something else so was happy to incorporate it into Monday’s vase. My vase collection has definitely grown in the past 2 years!

10. Eliza Waters

Such a gorgeous red peony! I think the foxglove compliments it perfectly. Peonies are one of my favorite flowers – I can hardly wait for mine to come into season!

Will look forward to seeing your peonies Eliza. The rains this morning have knocked off most of the remaining blooms on mine but they were certainly fun while they lasted.

That cilantro hadn’t done well last year so I continued to buy it instead; glad it became useful this week for the vase. I really like cilantro also.

Your peonies are simply stunning Susie. I love them, but I have never tried using them in an arrangement. Absolutely gorgeous. Your new one is a fabulous colour.

Thanks. These cut peonies were a nice gift. They last pretty well as cut flowers and make a huge impact (plus you get to enjoy the fragrance).

Ooh yes, the overhead view is stunning Susie. That dark peony colour is gorgeous, like cherry brandy! That tip about peony leaves will be useful – I hope to see most of mine open early June and will definitely be picking lots of the Festiva maxima. 🙂

Yes, wish I’d thought of that: cherry brandy! I’ve used peonies the past few weeks with and without the leaves, but honestly can’t say I noticed a difference.

13. rickii

Your two vases complement one another perfectly, while the square saucers tie everything together. Lovely, as always. And thanks for the tip about foliage keeping the flowers fresh longer.

Thanks Ricki, so glad I bought those square saucers recently–very useful. I heard the tip about the peony leaves but have been unable to find it in writing anywhere. Still have to remove any leaves that would be in the water.

Both were long-lasting. Actually after the photo shoot I separated the arrangements and used them in different parts of the house, enjoying their fragrance for a long time.