In A Vase On Monday—Sisters’ Flowers

In A Vase On Monday - Sisters' Flowers

In A Vase On Monday – Sisters’ Flowers

Each Monday brings the chance to join Cathy’s In A Vase On Monday to share an arrangement using materials gathered from the garden.

On Saturday I visited my two sisters in Fayetteville and returned primed for a Monday vase. My sisters grow spectacular Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) in a garden bed near their front walkway. When this past year they had to remove several shrubs from the area, their amaryllis responded to the more open, sunnier situation with a profusion of blooms.

Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) in Sisters' Garden

Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) in Sisters’ Garden (pink rose in background)

My sisters generously offered the clippers and encouraged me to help myself.

“Oh, yes, thank you. I would love some!”

Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) in Sisters' Garden

Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) in Sisters’ Garden

I chose four tall stalks and smiled all the way home.

These flowers are simply amazing, but creating a floral design and taking photographs that do justice to these beauties has proved challenging. Had I cut them short the Hippeastrum might have been easier to arrange. Maybe later in the week I will experiment, but for now I wanted to keep the stems long so I could use a special, deep vase of clear glass.

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia 'Shorty'

I did cut all the stems the same length and used florist’s tape to bind them near the top.

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia 'Shorty'

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia ‘Shorty’

Included with the Hippeasturm is one stem of Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’ and two stems of Euphorbia ‘Shorty’ in separate pastel glass vases complete the arrangement.

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia 'Shorty'

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia ‘Shorty’

Euphorbia ‘Shorty’ (Shorty Spurge)
Hippeastrum (Amaryllis)
Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’

Because the peonies put up with such excessive rain last week and some still managed to open unharmed, I felt one deserved to be included in the vase today. I am not convinced it contributes to the design.

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia 'Shorty'

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’, Euphorbia ‘Shorty’

Without the peony the result felt incomplete. Perhaps some ribbon or burlap tied near the top of the middle vase?

Hippeastrum Flanked By Euphorbia 'Shorty'. (Perhaps a cleaner design without the Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’.)

Hippeastrum Flanked By Euphorbia ‘Shorty’. (Perhaps a cleaner design without the Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’.)

The Hippeastrum and the peony hold their own without the euphorbia.

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’

Hippeastrum, Paeonia ‘Festiva Maxima’

Eventually I had to stop fussing.  Thanks to my sweet sisters, Judy and Cindy, for today’s flowers.

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower arranging addiction. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday. Feel free to join in.

41 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Sisters’ Flowers

1. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread

I love all your arrangements so I’m torn here because I love the peony but do think it is more dramatic without it. The two side arrangements are like pillars to support the lovely Amaryllis. So, until mine bloom, you could just send that one gorgeous peony my way please. 🙂

2. Annette

How nice to have such generous sisters! What a display, wow. And you’ve set the scene perfectly for them in your home, Susie, just a joy to behold 🙂

Glad you like the display Annette. They truly are wonderful sisters and we’re fortunate to have one other (also wonderful) sister.

Stunning is the only word to describe your vase today; lucky you having such generous sisters. I think I prefer the Hippeastrum without the peony although that definitely deserves a place in the display. Do I recognise the large clear vase? The two flanking vases make the display for me.

4. Kris Peterson

The “IAVOM” meme has me fussing with my floral arrangements too but your fussing is always more productive. In my opinion, any arrangement embellished with a peony is better for the association but then I adore peonies. Your sisters’ Hippeastrum bed is impressive – I can only hope that my bulbs will naturalize as well.

Oh, Kris! It’s true I do fuss (and take hundreds of photos). Your arrangements always show great thought and design. I look forward to them each week. I would imagine Hippeastrum would do great in your location–not sure about water requirement for them but these pictured had a lot of room, lots of rain this spring and extra light since the shrubs were removed.

5. Hannah

I can’t wrap my head around growing such gorgeous Amaryllises outdoors! I have that same one, it is fabulous. They look so gorgeous clustered in the vase, and I like the poofy white peony, I have a similar pink one still in bud. I love the Euphorbia flowers too, Susie.

Hannah, I could hardly believe my eyes either when I saw my sisters’ Amaryllis–lovely but incredible. That euphorbia has been wonderful this year. Glad you have peonies too to enjoy.

6. Eliza Waters

I’m so envious of your sisters being able to have such a stunning display next to their walkway. 🙂 And lucky you to benefit from their generosity and lucky us that we get to share in that joy!

7. Anna

How kind of your sisters to share their bounty with you. I wish that we could grow amaryllis outdoors. Your white peony is quite beautiful and has done well to come through the rain unharmed.

The amaryllis are quite a nice and unexpected gift. I’ve enjoyed them so much. I fretted over the peonies as we had serious rains for about 10 days as soon as the peonies started opening. Fortunately, some held up ok.

8. Joanna @edinburghgardendiary

What incredible Amaryllis! They are native to Brazil, I believe, so your sisters are lucky to be able to grow them outside. They are indoors only for us, and it’s an inspiration to see what they’re capable of in an environment closer to their native one.

Is Fayetteville is close by, growing Amaryllis outside is so exotic, could you do that too Susie. Beautiful vases and photographs, its really hard to do both well, especially with a tricky tall flower.

Yes, Fayetteville is about 65 miles away south. I have successfully grown amaryllis off and on, but they disappear after a while. I don’t think I’ve given them enough space. Amy garden club meeting a woman presented a brief talk on growing them here, but she uses containers and puts them in a protected spot by the door. You’re right about the height of the flowers–made it hard to get the flowers and container without getting lots of other distractions.

Thank you Beth. Yes, I am lucky to have my sisters (three total in fact). It was wonderful to get to experiment with the Amaryllis–the cost of purchasing would have been prohibitive.

How amazing to have these gorgeous hippeastrums growing in the garden. What a lovely gift. You have displayed them beautifuuly Susie. They look so elegant. I like the peony in there.

Thanks, another vote for the peony! I feel inspired to try to grow hippeastrums again in my garden. I have one of two but they’ve become crowded out by more aggressive neighbors.

It is such a novelty to see the hippeastrum growing outside – and what a treat to have been able to pick a whole cluster of them. They are undoubtedly the stars although I am intrigued also by those tall thin vases. Thnaks for sharing Susie

The hippeastrum was quite a treat. One of my sisters actually gave me the tall, pastel vases years ago as a set. There is also a blue one in the set. A pink one broke in shipment.

I’ve seen them a few times around town and even have tried them, but never have I seen such grand plants. The bulbs must have grown huge.

12. rickii

I love the addition of the bud vases with Euphorbia. I think you’re right about the peony, but sometimes sentiment wins out over pure design considerations. Interesting idea to bind the stems near the top. I’ll have to remember that one.

They are gorgeous! How wonderful to have them growing like that in the garden. I love the arrangements with the Euphorbia as an addition. I think I prefer the one without the peony, but seeing it in the vase with Hippeastrum is so very exotic and for me quite strange as the Hippeastrum are only grown indoors in winter here.

Hi Cathy! I’ve had limited success growing Hippeastrum in my garden–rather short-lived, but the ones at my sisters’ house were planted by previous owners and so have been there for many years.