In A Vase On Monday—Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

Monday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday.

Finally in full bloom in the southwestern border, hellebores were the starting inspiration for today’s arrangement.  These are not the ones recently purchased at the hellebore farm, but were passed along from Vicki, a yoga and garden club friend, about five years ago.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

Growing on the north side of the house Camellia x ‘Coral Delight’ is full of flowers and plenty of fat buds promise many more. One branch of this camellia was included to add color interest and serve as a focal point.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

A redbud twig and five or six stems of spiraea were selected to add height and movement to the design. Both of these springtime favorites burst into blossom just in the past couple of days.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

Added as a last minute impulse, bright yellow from a trio of Narcissus ‘King Alfred’ lifts the arrangement and ties the other flowers together.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

I grabbed a cranberry-colored glass vase just to hold the hellebores while they were being conditioned, but ended up sticking with it. Not only is the vase a perfect size, but the dark red brings an unexpected element of drama to the spring assortment.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

Camellia x ‘Coral Delight’
Cercis canadensis L. (Eastern Redbud)
Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)
Narcissus ‘King Alfred’ (trumpet daffodil)
Spiraea prunifolia (bridal wreath spiraea)
Cranberry red glass vase

On yesterday’s gray afternoon there was little light for picture-taking in the dining room where I moved the arrangement for display. The flowers will brighten up our meals this week (if we eat indoors! Last week we had most meals on the screened porch enjoying the birds and the view of the awakening garden.)

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Assortment

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Assortment

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower addiction. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

42 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Spring Assortment

1. Annette

Very elegant, Susie! Glad you’re celebrating the arrival of spring as well. Maybe you should take this beautiful vase outdoors for lunch 🙂

Annette, the vase may be evicted to the screen porch after all. The hellebore stamens and spiraea petals were liberally scattered overnight onto the buffet.

1. Annette

Susie, I was so excited to find hellebore seedlings this year – shall dig them up to pamper them a bit. Can’t wait to see how they turn out!

So Spring really has arrived in your garden. Your vase is a lovely way to celebrate its arrival. Clever if you to use the red vase, I wouldn’t have thought it was the right colour without seeing it, but it is perfect.

Spring has quietly slipped in, although I worry winter has a few statements left to make. We’re sleeping with the windows open and awakening to to birdsong.

1. johnvic8

I have a few old sheets in the ready to cover some selected plants. I used to cover the Japanese maples when a frost was predicted, but they have grown too large for the sheet to be effective. I share your worry.

The spiraea is wonderful to add to arrangements. It’s just starting to fill out. Hope spring finds you soon. We’re cautiously enjoying garden treasure unfolding, but worry that winter is not quite gone.

3. Hannah

The red vase is a nice touch this early, to match your pinkish red Camellias, Susie, and it looks great with the whites and yellows too. I like all the twiggy accents, they really fill out the bouquet, and I love the hellebores this time of year, I’m still hoping to get a double. Spireas are a wonderful bloomer for me but they are not ready yet.

Thanks Hannah. That red vase was a bit of a fluke but glad I used it for this arrangement. Hope you’ll find a nice double hellebore to enjoy. I’m going to try to transplant some seedlings this week. The spirea was not fully open but I see today it already looks fuller.

4. rickii

Bringing it all together in a vase really makes it feel like spring has sprung. We still have a ways to go before taking meals outdoors. Lucky you!

Ricki the pine pollen will drive us back indoors all too soon so we try to take advantage of the early warm weather. We seem to have tipped over that point when all the flowers are eager and fresh.

The redbud twig and spiraea stems add a wonderful energy to the composition, Susie. I believe I’ve said it before but I love that coral Camellia. Given our drought, I have no business adding any Camellias to my own garden (which came with quite a few to start with) but I might make an exception if I came across that Camellia here.

I’d like to encourage you to go ahead with the camellia but they do enjoy some water. I lost a brand new one last summer when we had such a heat wave and no rain.

Are the white spriggy bits spiraea? They set the other contents off perfectly, just like a twiggy halo. A gloriously uplifting vase Susie and thanks for sharing it today

Yes, there is only one redbud and the other branches are spiraea. It’s opened up even more today. One of my favorite passalongs. Hellebores seemed to be on everyone’s mind today.

Welcome Libby, so glad you’re joining in. It’s fun to see what’s available when you might not even think there’s anything. Of course, with spring coming it will be especially fun.

A fabulous collection Susie – so lovely to see such a variety of blooms at this time of year. You are my favourite spirea in bloom – mine are close but not out yet.

Thanks Julie. The spirea is becoming more full today–would have like more blossoms in the arrangement but that’s ok. It is a wonderful time of year.

Ooh, that’s lovely Susie! You have got all the beautiful colours of spring in one vase. The Spiraea adds a nice lightness to it all, but the Camellia is certainly the star. Just what you need to brighten up grey days, but you say you are eating outdoors already? Wonderful!

Neither the camellia nor the spiraea did well last year. Totally different story this spring. The weather has been ideal this week and last. I should be getting more work done in the garden but nevertheless I’m enjoying each day.

9. Anna

Your assortment captures the essence of spring Suzie. I like the sprigs of spirea – still to early here for it to open. The the very thought of a hellebore farm is most appealing 🙂

Hi Anna, the hellebore farm open house was interesting although the plants were not all blooming. That made it difficult to choose (but I managed to bring a few things home!). The spirea was just opening when I prepared this vase but today (Friday), after a week of beautiful warm weather, it is covered in snowy blossoms. Hope yours is not far behind.