In A Vase On Monday—Spring Sentry

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Sentry

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Sentry

Monday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday.

As we move into March suddenly there are choices to make as to what to feature in a Monday vase. Vying for attention this week are anemone coronaria, hellebores and camellias, all fine and worthy candidates; however, looking toward spring, Narcissus is my spring sentinel and sentimental favorite.

Bright yellow drifts of color are forming around the neighborhood and beyond as cheerful daffodil blossoms appear.

Narcissus 'King Alfred'

Narcissus ‘King Alfred’

I gathered a couple dozen King Alfred daffodils Saturday, conditioned them in water overnight and fashioned them into a simple bouquet on Sunday.  As an accent a leaf from a Warneckii ‘Lemon Lime’ houseplant was wrapped around the upper stems.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Sentry

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Sentry

The bouquet sits in a cube of glass held in place by a metal floral pin or frog. Decorative green stones hide the frog and visually help to anchor the flowers.

I photographed the design in several settings. An extra flower laid across one corner of the vase was the final touch needed to break up the space and unite top and bottom.

In A Vase On Monday - Spring Sentry

In A Vase On Monday – Spring Sentry

Dracaena deremensis warneckii ‘Lemon Lime’
Narcissus ‘King Alfred’ (trumpet daffodil)|
Glass cube vase
2.5-inch floral frog

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower addiction. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

38 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Spring Sentry

Susie this is really imaginative and creative, I just plonk my dafffs in a jug but really love the use of the wrapping leaf and whole composition.

Nothing lovelier than daffodils in a jug Julie, but this design was fun and quick. My warneckii is never going to get anywhere if I keep taking its leaves but I couldn’t find ribbon.

Wow, you’ve taken daffodils to another level. I hope that I remember this next year when I have some Narcissus again. This is really the very best I’ve seen!

Thanks, happy you like them. I found some inspirations, took ideas from several, then tried to make them work with what I had on hand. I’m pretty satisfied with the way it turned out. Maybe something similar would work for your beautiful array of tulips?

Thank you Linda. It is nice to emphasize those long stems. A garden club speaker once told us to reach down as close to the ground as possible and snap off the daffodil stem at the base as if you were snapping a green bean.

Oh what an excellent idea – I have a slim cylindrical vase that I liked to put my narcissi in (hm, well it was my ONLY vase, as it was pre IOVOM!) but this is fantastic, having the same cylindrical shape but without the vase! I love it – and you have definitely sown the seed for a lot of us. Thanks so much for sharing

Your cylindrical vase sounds perfect for daffodils Cathy. I have two vases that are my fall-back ones for daffodils but didn’t want to repeat. This was easy to make but might not have tried it without IAVOM. I thank you for hosting.

Once again you’ve turned simple (but beautiful!) flowers into a decorative masterpiece, Susie. Wrapping the stems with the dracaena leaf is genius!

It is so lovely to see King Alfred’s in a vase Susie!! I have a whole border in flower with recently planted King Alfred bulbs – they are really cheering the garden up this week

Your daffodil border must be a wonderful sight Julie. King Alfreds make a strong statement in the garden. I told my husband today I’m planting more daffodils next fall.

6. rickii

You have obviously wowed us all with the clever bundling of the daffys and the extra single is the perfect touch to bring it all together. Filing this one away for future reference.

That is a stunning and bold display of your beautiful daffs Susie! And they reflect the sunshine in your photos like gold. I agree that the single flower on the edge of the vase is the finishing touch that makes this so unique. Impressive and expressive. 🙂

Thank you so much Cathy. I am so happy to have the sun shine on the daffodils. It was a long, rainy autumn and winter. Placing that flower was a fluke but seeing it revealed something to me about the design I hadn’t noticed before. Have a great week.

8. An Eye For Detail

I do think King Alfred is my favorite daffodil: nothing else quite compares! Your arrangement is stunning in its simplicity. Thanks for visiting me…I’m looking forward to the CH Garden Tour and to being a docent! Hope to see you soon.

9. P&B

So lovely! They really say spring and sunshine are finally here. I love the first photo so much; the way the light drapes on the arrangement is so perfect.

We’ve been in the high seventies this week and the daffodils are icing on the cake. Thanks for the comment about the photo. Lighting is something I have a hard time figuring out.

Thank you Donna. It lasted almost a week. Just took it apart this morning and picked out all those little green stones from the floral pins–what a chore.