In A Vase On Monday—Orchid Blush

In A Vase On MondayMonday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday.

Early Sunday afternoon it was too icy for me to get out to check for any Hellebores that might be flowering on the northern side of the house.  Instead I resorted to using indoor blooms, three flowers from a holiday Phalaenopsis.

A curved section of the orchid stem and a wrapped Warneckii leaf placed in a new white oval container (2.5 x 2.5 inches) made a quick arrangement.

In A Vase On Monday - Orchid Blush

In A Vase On Monday – Orchid Blush

Not really pleased with the result, I tried again. Later in the day after sun had worked its magic against the ice, I ventured out to collect a few hellebores. Many were stuck under the ice, but I did find a few to use. On the way back inside I even plucked a deep purplish-red pansy.

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

The second version made for a happier vase on Monday.

Orchid, Pansy and Hellebore

Orchid, Pansy and Hellebore

Phalaenopsis (Moth Orchid)
‘Lemon Lime’ Warneckii
Pansy
Hellebore

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower addiction. It is always interesting and insightful to visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday and feel free to join in.

33 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Orchid Blush

I’m glad your snow was not so thick that you couldn’t find a few blooms. Worth enjoying inside as I’m sure you’re not wandering around much in the garden at present. The shiny white container really shows the flowers to advantage.

Most hellebores were stuck to the ground so I was lucky to find a couple to include today. The ice kept us homebound again but we hope to break out tomorrow. I bought the little container at Southern Season, where we had lunch and you found my large vase. The white line of china was terribly inexpensive and had many little containers like this one (it is meant to hold packages of sweeteners, but I liked the shape).

That was a wonderful shop I could have spent hours looking around. Richard had gazpacho with strawberries that I’d not heard of before; I made it several times last summer when I didn’t know what to do with my strawberry crop.

Thanks Brian. I’ve been treating myself to an occasional orchid from the grocery store for a couple of years now. They last so long I’ve come to see them as a great value and they make me happy!

I agree Judy–the little pansy stands out. It wasn’t in pristine shape and had only a short stem, but I felt it deserved a spot front and center after having survived the ice.

Thanks Donna, the orchids have been great for having some winter cheer in the house. The ice kept us indoors again today but think we’ll be able to get out tomorrow.

The pansy picks out the other pink shades really well – elegant simplicity, as always. You talk about your ice, but I wonder what else your weather has been doing and how long it will last… Thnaks for sharing today, Susie

We had a day of sleet and freezing rain, topped off the next day with snow. Couldn’t get our car out of the garage today so had to cancel an appointment this morning, but the ice has been thawing slowly throughout the day. School is still cancelled because so many roads have not been plowed. We should be nearly 60F (15C) soon though!

So that sounds like a very quick change from freeze to thaw even though not all roads are cleared. Would you never expect your snow to last very long?

Hellebores are one of the few flowers that can actually hold their own in a vase with orchids, Susie. I imagine that expeditions into your garden may be treacherous right now – I hope the weather out that way improves soon!

How elegant it looks. I have lots of Phalaenopsis orchids, but I never thought of picking them for a vase. You have such an artistic eye, Susie. I hope it warms up for you soon.

Thanks. The orchids can last 4-5 days in a vase and they do look very dramatic. We are expecting to reach nearly 60F (15C) later in the week, but for now the ice is still around, slowly melting.

Thanks, I agree the rich coloring in the pansy seemed to tie everything else together. It wasn’t in great condition and had a measly short stem, but glad I used it.

5. Hannah

The shiny white vase is marvelous with the satiny white orchid petals, and I like the deep pink of the orchid lips and tendrils, so pretty with the hellebores and deep magenta pansy, Susie.

6. Cath

As others have said, the contrast of the dark rich Pansy and the shining pristine Orchids tells the story. The white bowl is perfect too.

7. Beth @ PlantPostings

I like it–I think it works well! The vase is very graceful, too. I’m going to have to start joining back in the vase meme. It’s just so hard to keep up with all the memes. I love them all! And then I have posts planned that don’t seem to fit memes very well. But I enjoy reading about them on other people’s blogs. 🙂