In A Vase On Monday—Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

Monday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday. Especially in the winter season even a few blossoms brighten up the indoors.

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

Yesterday morning on our way to brunch with friends we encountered snow flurries mixed with rain. The snow melted immediately but it breathed excitement into the short commute.

Upon returning home the weather had cleared but it was cold. I foraged though the garden for today’s vase materials, quickly settling on three white Anemone coronaria. They appeared unfazed by the elements.

Anemone coronaria ‘Bride’

Anemone coronaria ‘Bride’

Again this week fragrant Daphne odora is used as filler. Three red cyclamen flowers from a house plant add a boost of color.

Cyclamen, Daphne, Anemone coronaria ‘Bride’

Cyclamen, Daphne, Anemone coronaria ‘Bride’

It was a difficult task finding a container for this odd mix, and I finally settled on a pair of small glass vases, painted black with a gold Asian floral motif. I believe these belonged to my grandmother.

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

The shape of the gold flowers is repeated in the anemones and in the end the vases seem perfectly suited for the garden’s spare offerings.

Photographing these flowers was fun. I reversed the order of the vases and experimented with perspective and point-of-view, finding pleasure in these simple winter flowers. I hope you enjoy them too.

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

Anemone coronaria ‘Bride’
Cyclamen
Daphne odora (Winter daphne)

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower addiction. It is always interesting and insightful to visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday and feel free to join in.

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday - Wintertide Pair

In A Vase On Monday – Wintertide Pair

53 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Wintertide Pair

You always find something different and interesting for your vases Susie and this week’s is no exception. You have put the flowers together simply but perfectly. The design on the vases really does add to the arrangement. I must try to find somewhere with more light to play around with my photography; I’m nearly always disappointed with my results. Have a good week and thanks for your email, I’ll respond this afternoon.

Thank you Christina. The daphne stems created enough of a framework I didn’t have to use anything else to hold the flowers in place, so these we together easily. I have a favorite spot for pictures. I tried photographing the vases in another part of the house but there wasn’t enough light.

1. Peggy Pratt

Susie – absolutely beautiful. I found your lik today and opened and voile – I was in for a treat. Keep it up. Maybe you’ll inspire me – In a Vase on Monday. Peggy

Hello Peggy, and thanks very much! You should join in on Mondays. I would love to see your wonderful creations each week. Hoping to make it on Tuesday to the garden club meeting.

I don’t often have flowers that can hold their own against that gold decoration, but these seemed to manage. Watching the snow fall sounds like a dreamy way to start the day. Have a nice week Judy.

That was indeed a good choice for your blooms Susie, even though one mightn’t have expected it to be so, as it brings the various colours out – and having a pair made it a doubly good choice! It was intriguing to see them from the different angles too. Thanks for sharing – we are picking up a lot of useful tips from you 🙂

Thanks Cathy and I pick up wonderful tips from your and other participants. I was glad the colors worked together as the vases were just the right size for the small amount of florals. I noticed you gave the measurement on your vase and I think it’s helpful to know, so I just checked mine. They are 3.5 inches tall and 2.5 inches at the widest point (9 x 6.3 cm). Thanks for indulging me in showing so many photos today, I actually did eliminate a lot of them!

Hi Sam, yes the daphne smells lovely, but it’s hard to describe. Maybe gardenia or jasmine with a bit of lemon. Wintertide seemed to capture the mood more effectively than anything else I could think of yesterday–something to do with the sparse number of flowers, the cold settling in after the brief snow and many birds hovering close by the feeder.

1. Sam

We had a Daphne bholua in our previous garden and the smell was delicious. I’d love to plant one here – one for the wishlist!

Donna, I so appreciate your kind words. Sometimes when the choice is limited we reach further than if there were lots of easily available blooms.

Thanks Linda. These anemones were planted a year ago last fall. They bloomed spring to mid-summer and then the foliage died back. In fall they returned and started blooming sparsely. Don’t know what to expect from them this spring.

3. Hannah

Your little shiny black vases are exquisite with the gold flowers, Susie, and perfect for your beautiful red and white combinations! I’m really wishing I were growing some Anemone coronarias, but can look forward at least to the Anemone nemorosas, though tiny.

I love everything about these vases, Susie! The colors, the Daphne accent and the containers themselves are perfect. I’m becoming increasingly envious as I see anemones pop up in posts here and there. I only just noticed the appearance of some anemone foliage in my own garden so I’m guessing the warm temperatures we had into November set the corms back. The failure of the El Nino rains to live up to the hype, at least in my area of SoCal, may also be a factor.

Thank you. Were you hoping for still more rain Kris? El Nino has been busy! I don’t know if it’s normal for anemone to bloom at this time of year, but I expect it’s not. I planted new corms in fall but there’s not a sign of them.

Those vases really are perfect Susie. It has a Chinese feel to it and the red cyclamen provide some zing! Your anemones are so pretty. Lovely photos!

Thanks Cathy! That red cyclamen plant has been blooming for several months and a new batch of blooms are shooting up, so I didn’t mind cutting these three flowers. I thought the arrangements would be too wintry stark without some color.

6. Cath

What a pretty and unexpected combination. The Bride really is very pure isn’t it, and such a study in texture. It’s set off perfectly by the dark green of the Daphne leaves. It was good knowing the size – I imagined them bigger. It shows how much impact you can have with a tiny vase (or two).

Thanks Cath. I agree photos can be misleading as to the size of these arrangements. If I can remember I’ll try to include the dimensions from now on. I love making small arrangements–not enough blooming in the garden for anything large and the little ones don’t take much time to assemble.