In A Vase On Monday—Rich Seasonal Color

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias – In A Vase On Monday

Monday brings the chance to share cut flowers from the garden by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday.

Rain has been a rare occurrence at my house since last spring so I was delighted to have a rainy weekend. I gathered flowers during a break in the showers yesterday.  Today’s informal vase features three types of red dahlias that are just beginning to bloom.

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias – In A Vase On Monday

One is a cocoa-tinged cactus-type dahlia that is newly purchased this year. The other two I would classify as formal decorative dahlias. One from last year that overwintered successfully is dark red with blue-violet overtones. The other, a passalong from friend Libby at An Eye For Detail, has smaller, bright scarlet flowers and nice long stems.

Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday – Version 2

Dahlias and Zinnias – In A Vase On Monday

Cosmos is finally starting to flower a little  in my garden while Zinnias continue to bloom profusely. Both are used today to fill out the arrangement.

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday

Cosmos, Dahlias and Zinnias – In A Vase On Monday

Dahlia and Zinnia - In A Vase On Monday

Dahlia and Zinnia – In A Vase On Monday

I experimented with a variety of containers today before finally settling on a large lime green latte/soup mug.  The first vases I tried were too tall to suit the stem length of most of the dahlias, so I trimmed the all the flowers much shorter than I had planned. I used a 2-inch flower frog to hold the stems in place.

The cloudy morning had me carrying the vase of flowers all over the house and porch trying to capture some natural light.

Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday

Cosmos
Dahlia x hybrida
Euphorbia ‘Shorty’ (Shorty Spurge)
Lavandula x intermedia ‘Dutch’ (Dutch Lavender)
Salvia uliginosa ‘Blue Sky’ (Bog sage)
Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’ (Herbstfreude)
Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)
Zinnia

Dahlias and Zinnias - In A Vase On Monday

Thanks to Cathy for hosting this weekly flower addiction. Visit her at Rambling In The Garden to discover what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday and feel free to join in.

39 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Rich Seasonal Color

Mmmm, more lovely rich autumn colour! I love the way you have arranged the flowers so we can see the different textures. And I love that mug too! 🙂

That shade of green works with a lot of colors. It doesn’t steal the limelight. It was not what I’d imagined for today at all but glad I worked my way around to using it.

2. homeslip

I really must try zinnias next year, they really add something extra to the dahlias and cosmos. Your gorgeous flower colours are set off perfectly against the lime green breakfast cup, the whole composition is very pleasing indeed.

Thanks Judy. In my mind I saw those red dahlias in a white vase but couldn’t find anything the right size or shape. The green cup worked out well though.

I also like the colors, and you’re right that it fits the season, but I do like the touch of gray in there to lighten up the strong colors and heavy flowers. The mug worked out perfectly!

Yes, you’re right. I think the silvers of the lavender and euphorbia helped. Probably would use more lighter colors next time to help balance that dark dahlia color.

The little spark from the Verbena bonariensis (especially in the second image) brings the sumptuous, rich colours of the dahlia to life, and the contrast to the lime green mug is perfect, I don’t think any other colour would have worked as well.

I like your observation Christina about Verbena bonariensis. When I saw the photos it struck me too that made a useful combination. I’ll have to play with that idea. Interesting to see how important a container is in making an arrangement. Have a good week.

Gorgeous Susie, really rich colours, I love the colour of the jug/soup mug, which works so well with your flowers. I have been looking at my motley collection of containers lately and realise I need to be more inventive.

Thanks Julie. Bet your cabinets are filled with inventive possibilities. I’ve used this green cup for several different types of arrangements and sometimes the lime green pops and sometimes it just recedes to the background and plays a supporting role. I’d like to buy more containers but where would I put them?

6. Hannah

It’s so elegant the way you got all the faces of the flowers to lie flat on the surface of a ball of flowers. And then the cute little blue flowers stick out a little for emphasis. I love all your Dahlias, I’m still waiting for mine to bloom. I like the silvery grey foliage here and there too.

Hi Hannah, thanks for your comment and I apologize for not seeing it earlier. WordPress had marked it as spam. Hope your dahlias show up soon. I’m becoming a big fan of them although I don’t have much variety–all reds.