In A Vase On Monday—A Late Vase

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

It is late at night but I want to join Cathy for In A Vase On Monday, a weekly invitation to fill and share a vase using materials gathered from one’s garden.

I gathered flowers early this morning and parceled them into a variety of containers until I had time to work with them. Time got away from me. When I finally caught a moment late this afternoon to photograph one vase for a quick post, I really should have taken time to grab a container to that would better complement the color of the flowers.

Cleome hassleriana was supposed to be the star of this arrangement. The cleome has opened up in the past week and is doing well despite the lack of rain and the high heat. It self-seeds and I let it go mostly wherever it wants. My original Cleome hassleriana seedlings came years ago from my friend, Chris, who bought them at Monticello.

Cleome and Echinacea

Cleome and Echinacea

Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower) and Echinacea ‘Big Sky Sundown’ are also tolerating this hot weather. These two flowers prove that pink and orange can coexist, but they may have stolen the limelight from the cleome.

Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)

Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)

Echinacea ‘Big Sky Sundown’ (Hybrid Coneflower)

Echinacea ‘Big Sky Sundown’ (Hybrid Coneflower)

A few sprigs of Dutch Lavender complete this quick vase.

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

Cleome hassleriana (Spider Flower)
Echinacea ‘Big Sky Sundown’ (Hybrid Coneflower)
Lavandula x intermedia ‘Dutch’ (Dutch Lavender)
Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)

A big thank you to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for welcoming everyone to join her in this addictive Monday diversion. Please visit her to see what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

31 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—A Late Vase

Because you were late, yours was also the first vase after Cathy’s that I looked at. Lovely – and very delicate, considering that Echinaceas are such bold flowers. I loved the lighting in your photograph as well, which seems to enhance everything perfectly!

2. Joanna @edinburghgardendiary

Pink and orange certainly do go together, especially these dusky colours. I’d not really heard of cleome but it may have to go on my wishlist. And the lavender does a subtle but essential job of softening the whole thing to just the right tone. A lovely vase of flowers!

3. rusty duck

Pink and orange is my ‘new’ thing this year, it has come up from behind and surprised even me. A lovely vase Susie, the white lightens and freshens it.

Thanks Jessica. Nature shows the way with its color combinations, so we can certainly enjoy them. I’m just dabbling in pink and orange–not sure about a commitment.

Dusky colours – yes, that sums it up I think. I shall have to try again with both echinacea and cleome as up to now they have been a dismal failure for me and yet they are so gorgeous. The colours work so well and yet complement rather than contrast – very pretty, so thanks for for sharing

Thanks Cathy. I wish you luck trying them again. Both of these are among the most reliable things in my garden right now. Thanks for hosting.

Well it doesn’t look rushed, a very unusual colour combination for you but it works really well. I’m looking forward to seeing it this morning.

6. Donna@Gardens Eye View

Beautiful Susie and perfect summer flowers….I wish my cleome had germinated but the seed was too old…so next year…it is an annual here and will not reseed, but I love it. Nice to see it in your vase. My echinacea are just beginning to flower in spots.

Don’t you love the way young echinacea unfold. Too bad about the cleome but it was worth a try to use them. I was given them as seedlings so perhaps they’re easier to get started that way.

7. rickii

I was charmed by this from the very first shot, and think the container is just right. The lighting shows everything off to full advantage.

That’s so nice Rickii. This time of year the light is getting stronger and even though it’s indoors, had to try to shut out some light. Far cry from dull, dark winter light.

The Cleome and the Echinacea make a nice mix, Susie. I think they complement one another well and neither seems to overwhelm the other in my view. My Echinacea (at least some of them) are showing signs of making a comeback, which has been a delightful surprise – they disappeared and I’d thought they were gone forever.

Hybridizers have created many new Echinacea Anca, but i prefer the old-fashioned ones. (Except I do have a nice white one and the sunset-colored one.) Good luck if you decide to grow them.