In A Vase On Monday—A Sweet Fragrance

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

Once again I am joining Cathy for In A Vase On Monday, a weekly invitation to fill and share a vase using materials gathered from one’s garden.

With a large pass-along gardenia starting to flower last week, what to use in my vase this week was an easy decision. Gardenias are quick to brown and I find them difficult to photograph, but these minor flaws are easily overlooked with one whiff of their sweet perfume.

Gardenia jasminoides

Gardenia jasminoides

The entire experience of gathering, arranging and photographing these gardenias was accentuated by the remarkable fragrance of the flowers.

Gardenia jasminoides

Gardenia jasminoides

Three stems of Verbena bonariensis inserted into a small, one inch floral pin holder doubled as  an armature around which the gardenias were added.

In A Vase On Monday - View From Above

In A Vase On Monday – View From Above

Today’s container is a traditionally-shaped pressed glass dish that had belonged to my aunt. Rarely used, it is the perfect size for the number of flowers I collected. The arrangement adds an graceful detail to the dining room buffet.

In A Vase On Monday

In A Vase On Monday

Flowers
Gardenia jasminoides
Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)

Gardenia jasminoides

Gardenia jasminoides

A big thank you to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for welcoming everyone to join her in this addictive Monday diversion. Please visit her to see what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

34 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—A Sweet Fragrance

I’m still pretending some of my other gardenia shrubs are going to make it, although they look like sticks. It surprised me how well this particular shrub is blooming.

As you know I always admire your Gardenias. The arrangement is very attractive with the addition of the Verbena, which I find doesn’t last all that well in a vase but is worth it even for a couple of days.

You’re right about the verbena, it doesn’t really last well. My vase from last week is still in decent shape but this one will be short-lived. Don’t think the gardenias will keep either, but for the scent it’s worth it.

Lovely vase – and so nice to see the gardenias. I just know them from greenhouse growing. The pictures almost allow me to smell them!

Thanks Cindy. Some of my gardenias seem dead or dying after our cold winter, but this one bush has been prolific this week. Hope you’re adjusting to your new surroundings.

3. Stepheny Houghtlin

This offering is delightful. I love the container, arrangement and can almost smell the fragrance. You have become a wonderful flower arranger. Would love to have this creation at the ‘cottage for two.’

Thank you Stepheny. If you were closer I would bring you some gardenias Stepheny. The scent has been delightful as it greets me as soon as I enter the house.

4. rickii

Always nice to bring out seldom used pieces with memories attached. Speaking of memories, mine allow me to conjure the scent of gardenias by just looking at your lovely bouquet.

I’m SO impressed by your ability to work with those gardenias, Susie! I’ve found it nearly impossible to get even a half-way decent photograph of the flowers that appeared on my gardenia shrub following our unexpected May rains – and I didn’t even try arranging them in a vase.

Thank you very much Kris. I must say it’s hard for me to photograph any white flower. Why is that? The gardenias weren’t terribly cooperative when I was arranging them, but I didn’t want to use oasis. They also aren’t lasting very well (already turning brown), but their fragrance is even nicer today.

I am so jealous Susie – I would love to be able to grow a gardenia! The flowers are beautiful but it is the scent I really covert. Your arrangement works so well with the support of the viburnum and that vase is stunning.

Thank you Anca. I hope you’ll find you can grow gardenias. They are sometimes sold as houseplants but mine have never done well that way.

A lovely elegant vase Susie. Your gardenias are so fragile looking, and I can only imagine how they smell as I don’t think I have ever seen any in “the flesh” so-to-speak!

I think you’d like gardenias in person Cathy. The flowers are not long-lasting but they do have beautiful creamy petals when fresh.

Do you know Susie, I don’t know if I have ever smelt a gardenia? They look so perfect and white so the fragrance must be an added bonus. I like the fact that your vase is ‘footed’ – it adds to the overall shape. Very lovely, as always, so thanks for sharing 🙂

Perhaps you’ll have a chance to experience gardenia first-hand Cathy. It’s a lovely sweet aroma. My aunt’s birthday month was May, so wish I’d thought to use that vase “last month.”

9. woodlandgnome

Susie, your vase today is so special. If this were your only vase all season it would be enough . I share your delight in a recovering Gardenia shrub. This winter was hard on them, but such a beautiful harvest ! You have inspired me to cut a few of ours when they bloom. ☺

Thanks so much! I hope your gardenias do well. They don’t last indoors for me very long but are so worth cutting a few anyway.

1. woodlandgnome

I associate Gardenias and their fragrance with the Grande Dames of Southern communities. The older ladies my mother knew seemed always to grow them. It is a peculiarly evocative fragrance, which I love. I’ve never brought them indoors in recent years, and will cut at least a few for a vase when they appear this summer. Our shrub has clothed itself with fresh leaves, so I have hope for flowers to soon follow 😉

10. sweetbay

Verbena and gardenias make a great combination! It was nice to have gardenias blossoms again this year; the cold winter of 2013-14 eliminated any possibility of that last year. (Or at least that’s what happened in my garden.)

Must be nice to have that beautiful fragrance in the house!

The gardenias have filled the house with the nicest scent. Mine didn’t bloom last year either but one shrub at least seems better than ever this year. Lost the hydrangeas again from the late cold snap.

11. P&B

NIce to see your gardenias have survived the harsh winter and blossom profusely. Your arrangement has never failed to amaze me.

Actually most of them look terrible, but this particular one is the exception. Thanks for the nice words about the arrangements. I enjoy this chance to make a vase each Monday.