Everything Is New

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Recently my yoga teacher suggested the class think of the phrase everything is new as we moved through the poses. The idea was to pay attention to every aspect of each asana as if we were experiencing the posture for the first time.

I brought home the phrase to use with my garden. Adopting everything is new will not require starting over with new plants nor throwing out accumulated knowledge from my few years of gardening.  The phrase simply inspires me to pay attention without overthinking everything.

Observe. Take time to notice.

Everything is new reminds me to focus on the joy of being in the garden and experience gardening anew.

Narcissus

21 thoughts on “Everything Is New

Great phrase, I always try to think about living in the moment and not rushing towards the future. It has a similar effect that I enjoy what is happening now!

What a lovely little post – it could have been aimed at me because, although I also do yoga, I haven’t learnt the lessons as you have, and tend to rush wildly. I shall go out over the next few days with your mantra in mind!

I love this phrase Susie, and it reminds me of my motto for this year: Savour every minute of every day. Sometimes it’s good just to live in the moment!

4. Stepheny Houghtlin

Although this is a gardening blog, and your beautiful images today point towards what is coming that will be reborn once again, this post reminds us that like the garden, we too must make room for what is new in us that wishes to express itself, to noticed, and appreciated.

Gardening teaches us about the circle of life, with everything renewing itself as the months go by. Each month is special with new plants growing and flowering through the year.

You’ve offered a wonderful description of gardening and life Pauline. In general I think gardeners must have a special advantage to living life fully.

6. johnvic8

A very thoughtful post, Susie. I was just out and about in my garden and took the time to observe some of the same things going on there. Bulbs up, buds on the hellebores, and buds on the maples. These are encouraging sights.

7. gardeninacity

I like that. Something to think of as we look forward to spring (which is still further away around here than it is in your neighborhood). A good counterweight to “Nothing new under the sun”.

Everything is new makes me want to enjoy this moment, but I can’t help but think of spring too. We’re having the first mild week in ages and it comes with sun. 67F this afternoon.

8. P&B

A lovely thought. Another way to look at it is, ‘to live in the moment, the present.’ A garden this month will not be the same garden next month.