In A Vase On Monday—Hellebores

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Ah, the first Monday of 2015. Monday brings an opportunity to practice flower arranging by joining in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday to create a floral arrangement from materials gathered in one’s own garden.

I prepared this arrangement a day ahead, knowing today might be too busy. Sunday’s skies were dreary. In between showers, daylight was remarkably pale. The temperature was mild, in the 60s F., and knowing the week ahead is forecast to be very cold, I spent some time taking care of an easy garden chore.

I recently saw a reminder to trim away leaves from hellebores before their flowers emerge. When I had last checked on mine a few days ago they showed no sign of being ready to bloom, but after trimming away several handfuls of leaves I finally looked down the row and laughed out loud. I had been too focused on the task at hand to even notice that many of their nodding flowers already had commenced to open.

I knew all week the container I wanted to use for today and was hoping to find something new in bloom. A few days ago my daughter gave me a colorful and versatile vase for short-stemmed flowers. There are eight ceramic tubes set at slightly different angles and heights on a rectangular base. Each tube is a different color, but in effect they are rather neutral and do not compete with the colors of the blossoms.

Multiple Stem Tube Flower Vase

Multiple Stem Tube Flower Vase – one side

Multiple Stem Tube Flower Vase

Multiple Stem Tube Flower Vase – the other side

This arrangement went together quickly. Hellebores typically like to face downward but the tubes of the vase helped prop up several of them so as to expose the interesting markings and colors.

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

First of the new year – Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

I do not have many kinds of Hellebores but would like to get a few more. They bloom for three months, starting in January! What a nice way to start off the new year.

Materials List

Helleborus x hybridus (Lenten rose)

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting. Visit her to see what she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

50 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—Hellebores

Thanks Elizabeth. Wish I’d had more light on the flowers in that first shot, but it was a dull, dark day. I always miss the exact time my hellebores open–very sneaky of them. Hope yours arrive soon!

The Hellebores are gorgeous but the vase is even more beautiful. Clever daughter to find such an unusual and versatile vase. I’m sure we’ll be seeing it a lot on Monday’s. I have some small seedlings of Hellebores in pots, I need to find somewhere moist and shady enough for them to survive or I might try them in pots. they would be worth it even if it was only for cutting.

The vase will be fun to use I think and is especially nice as a reminder of my daughter. Good luck with your Hellebores. I have collected little seedlings from underneath my plants for several years now to share with friends, but I forget to take care of them in pots and they don’t make it. Maybe this year I can do better.

2. greenbenchramblings

I thought you had a group of small vases until I realised that it was one unusual vase with several stems. Very beautiful and useful. Hellebores surprise every year with their unusual range of colours and markings. Great combination of flowers and vase. Thanks.

Thank you Malc. The vase is going to be fun to use. A surprise ice storm cancelled my planned trip to a well-know hellebore farm in Virginia last year. Hoping to make it this year to pick up some unusual one(s) to add to these.

Yes, you can say that Judy. The vase does steal the show a bit doesn’t it, although I must say, I was so excited to find something blooming yesterday.

3. Donna@GardensEyeView

Wow Susie I love that vase….I am on the hunt now for more vases. And so jealous that you have blooms. We have frigid temps and snow. But it was in the 50s yesterday so the ice and snow from the day before melted. Fabulous arrangement.

4. johnvic8

Lovely, Susie. I don’t know why my hellebores haven’t made their appearance yet. Perhaps, I need to cut back the old foliage. Is there a discovery waiting for me?

Perhaps they are there today John. I had checked mine carefully the other day and saw no sign they were even thinking about flowering. With the cold predicted for this week I wasn’t sure it was a good idea to remove the leaves as I thought it might be good protection. I left one group uncut just in case.

The jury is still out on cutting hellebore leaves as far as I’m concerned, Susie – although i did cut them on my very leaf-congested H niger last year! How lovely to have your hellebores in flower now, particularly if they have taken you by surprise. Interestingly I had the odd bloom before Christmas last year but not so this time, even though other things are earlier. I love them – all the different shades and markings, and they hang around for such a long time too. But your vase!! What a great find – I love it, and so will all the other Monday vase bloggers I am sure! What an uplifting post! 🙂

I had hellebores for years before someone finally told me about trimming the foliage, so I’m with you Cathy. Interesting to note when things blooms from year to year, isn’t it? Sometimes it’s easy to know why a plant is early or late, other times there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Thanks for hosting–if not for the vase today I might still be unaware the hellebores had broken through.

Stepheny, I think the vase my daughter chose for me is going to get a lot of use. It will be fun to experiment with it. Hope you’re feeling lots better.

Thanks so much–I was excited my daughter selected such a perfect gift for me and the hellebores cooperated nicely to allow me to use the vase right away.

Ouch! We’ve been dreading the mid-week forecast here but it won’t come close to what you’re facing. The vase was fun to use and I have a feeling it will work well with a variety of things.

Your family buy you the nicest gifts Susie, I really like the light in the first shot too, it all works together so well, A brilliant way to display the Hellebores, they do not need anything else at all. Just lovely.

Thanks Julie! Yes indeed, my family is great and also well-tuned to my gardening interest. The vase will be fun to experiment with through the seasons.

Well, your comment made me smile Cathy! I’ve really come to appreciate hellebores. I think the vase will work well with zinnias this summer.

7. rickii

I’m always a little frustrated by the Hellebores’ habit of staring at our shoes. Have thought they would be nice along a wall so that we could look up into their faces. Your vase is a perfect way to deal with their shy ways. Don’t you love it when your offspring “get” you so thoroughly?

Some people “float” Hellebores in a shallow dish. I’ve tried this and it works well but it was nice to be able to use their stems and foliage too for a more natural feel. Yes, offspring are great gifts themselves aren’t they!

Hi Susie, I have written a blog today after being given a Leibster award from Chloris, I had to nominate 5 blogs I would like to give the award too and I have nominated you, I hope thats ok.Its a little time consuming to take part but really its just a way of saying how much I enjoy your blog, the details are on my post today.

I have never seen a vase like this before. What a great way to display your lovely hellebores. They are such a delight and every one is different.
    I always cut the leaves off. Not only do the flowers show up better but it stops the black spots of botrytis spreading to the flowers.
    I am going to have to refollow you, your posts have not benn showing up on my reader. I think I have missed some.

Thanks for the advice about cutting back the hellebores leaves to prevent botrytis. I hadn’t heard of it but just looked it up. There’s one more group I didn’t trim back yet but now will definitely do so. Thanks for following! Susie

Amazing you already have hellebores open. Between that and the camellias the argument to move south really makes sense!
    The vase is interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing it more.

Hi Frank. Glad you like the vase. It surely will be a well-used one. The hellebores have opened pretty much on time for my garden, but I do have another patch in a different section that is not as far along. Feel free to come on down to NC but before you pack, be aware it was 9F this morning. Of course that may sound warm to you.