In A Vase On Monday—A Memory Onto Your Soul

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Gardenia and Red Salvia

It is time again to join in Cathy’s weekly challenge In A Vase On Monday. The goal is to fill a vase using materials gathered in one’s own garden.

Last week I passed on using gardenias in my Monday vase as they were a bit past their prime; nevertheless I enjoyed some indoors for a few days.

A few more were blooming Sunday afternoon and though again they are not in perfect condition, even seeming to turn brown before my eyes, I decided to feature them today to honor their delectable fragrance.

Gardenia

Gardenia

Many of you will be able to close your eyes, take a deep breath in and imagine a gardenia sitting before you.

…the scent of gardenias settles like a memory onto your soul.

Gene B. Bussell. “Gardenias: A Fragrance That Captivates“. Southern Living. June 2005.

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Another reason to display gardenias today is I came across a self-seeded red salvia from last year.  Its first flowers appeared this week and I thought their intense hue would look interesting with the creamy white of gardenias. Despite the reputation of red salvia for being overused, I find them attractive and sometimes just what one needs for a bright punch of color in the garden.

Red Salvia

Red Salvia

I was curious how these flowers might work in a formal arrangement, but not having time today to experiment, the blossoms were loosely placed into a simple, clear shrub glass. Gardenias have beautiful dark green, glossy leaves so no additional foliage was needed.

2 Gardenia jasminoides ‘Chuck Hayes’
2 Gardenia sp.
3 Salvia splendens (scarlet sage, red salvia)

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In The Garden for hosting. Discover what delightful things she and others are placing In A Vase On Monday.

Gardenia and Red Salvia

Gardenia and Red Salvia

28 thoughts on “In A Vase On Monday—A Memory Onto Your Soul

The colors seemed out-of-season and Christmasy but I liked the combination. I had brought in many other flowers but had no time to work with them yesterday.

Thats a really striking arrangement Susie, and Gardenias! I always thought of them as Mediterranean plants. Its really interesting to see what you can grow, do you treat them as an annual where you are?

Thanks Julie. A lot of southern US gardens feature gardenias, but as I leaned this year they may not survive the cold. These have been planted as shrubs in my yard for about 12 years.

It’s an elegant vase, Susie. The gardenias look perfect to my eye and the salvia gives the arrangement an unexpected punch. My own gardenia failed to produce a single bloom this year – too hot and dry perhaps.

Sad you missed seeing your gardenia bloom this year. Mine missed the spring blooming period so that’s why I’m so pleased to see a few at the end of summer. They do need a lot of water, don’t they.

3. Anna

Oh that’s a most striking vase – colour and scent – you could not wish for more Susie. What an apt quote to accompany the images. I’m closing my eyes now ….

I have to confess I have no idea what a gardenia smells like, but I still like the quote which we could probably relate to a few other flowers as well. I know what you mean about these salvias which are often used in massed public planting schemes in the UK but with the gardenias they take on a whole different appearance, elegant and sophisticated. Lovely.

Even to a northerner like me the scent of gardenias bring back vacation and greenhouse memories.
    Your arrangement is a surprise, like you said, Christmassy but very clean and pure and pleasing for this time of year. I would have never thought of the salvias in a vase, and I like it!

Glad you like the salvia/gardenia pair. That red salvia has held up pretty well–it was really had the freshest blooms of anything in the garden the other day when I prepared that arrangement, so figured I might as well try it.

6. P&B

Very lovely arrangement. I wish I could grow gardenias here. I haven’t had any luck but i’m still longing for the chance to sniff it’s lovely scent.