Rain At Last

Finally a couple of nice rains this week brought a boost to relieve the stressed plants in the garden. Suddenly lavender is flowering, along with Cleome and Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian Sage).

This morning six American Goldfinches were gathered around stalks of Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena). Bees are feasting on the lavender, Monarda didyma (Scarlet Beebalm) and Tradescantia (Spiderwort), bringing a satisfying and familiar hum to the garden.

Yesterday I noticed a few daylily buds and then today, a bloom.  This first daylily is open a full week earlier than last year.  The plant was dug in 2006 from Roger Mercers’ daylily fields in Fayetteville, NC during a special outing with my sister and daughter.

Hemerocallis (Daylily)

Hemerocallis (Daylily)

Hemerocallis (Daylily)

Hemerocallis (Daylily)

A couple of years ago I planted  Allium Atropurpureum Allium sphaerocephalon (Dumstick allium) and they finally are taking off. The florets are small but I really like the dark, rich color.

Allium sphaerocephalon (Dumstick allium) [ I had misidentified as Allium Atropurpureum]

In front of a grouping of Dusty Miller and Tradescantia in the western border, a foxglove is about to bloom. This is Digitalis ferruginea (Rusty Foxglove). I am not especially fond of this color but it returns faithfully each year and sometimes that’s enough reason to be pleased with a plant. My reasoning does not hold for the Tradescantia though—I love the color but am still trying to get rid of it.

Digitalis ferruginea (Rusty Foxglove)

Digitalis ferruginea (Rusty Foxglove)

24 thoughts on “Rain At Last

Your day lily is lovely, ours aren’t quite flowering yet, but we have lots of buds ready to burst open! I also like Digitalis ferruginea, so different from the usual ones.

I love the rich colour of the Hemerocallis and lovely that you have happy memories of its purchase. I don’t think you Allium is Atropurpureum, it looks more like the drumstick allium. Lovely though which ever it is.

Thanks so much for the help with identifying the allium. I looked back at my records and I did plant 10 Allium ‘Drumstick’ in 2012.

Its lovely when the rain comes, every flower head seems to look up drinking it in. We could do with a bit of sociable overnight rain here. I hope you get some more rain too.

Love that term, “sociable overnight rain”! Hope you get some rain too. Rain seems to be so much more nourishing than handwatering.

Wonderful to get some rain after drought. I love your day lily and I love the rusty colour of Digitalis ferruginea. Your summer blooms are racing ahead.
    I think your Allium looks like Allium sphaerocephalon

Yes, suddenly the summer flowers have arrived. I appreciate your help with identifying the allium. I looked back at my records and I did plant 10 Allium sphaerocephalon ‘Drumstick’ as well as 10 Allium Atropurpureum in 2012. I’m not all that familiar with them but do like the looks of them whatever they’re called.

5. Stephi

Love the color of the daylily! I have one Stella d’oro that has bloomed (funny though, it’s just the worst spot–I think I stuck it there when I was splitting them and forgot about it). Have your spiderwort taken over? I had some and gave some to my mom. Mine then died off, but hers have overtaken her garden. I’m afraid to get some back from her.

In my previous garden the spiderwort just barely made a showing. I’ve always loved the blue color so I kept trying to keep it going. It took off like crazy in this new garden before I understood how difficult it would be to control. There is a nice hybrid called Sweet Kate they I’ve heard is well-behaved.

My first day lily opened this morning too! I love that deep red/orange. Glad your lavender is opening… time to make ice cream? 😉 My Perovskia isn’t showing any blue yet, but we need a good rain too – it’s been hot and dry for a couple of weeks now and things are starting to look stressed. Your foxglove is actually quite classy – it’s nice to see an unusual colour. I also like the spiderwort flowers, but their growth is so untidy and the flowers go over by midday, so I removed mine a few years ago too.

So our daylilies are in sync–aren’t they wonderful plants? I’m definitely hooked on your lavender ice cream recipe and everyone who’s tasted it loves it. Can you gather the lavender and store it in a plastic container or something like that to use during the year for that ice cream (or other things)?

I haven’t tried, but I think drying it would be the best way… cut it fairly early and hang it upside down in a dry airy place. This would be the perfect way to use it in baking. 🙂

7. Marian St.Clair

Beautiful daylily. Glad you have finally gotten some rain, Tim said we had some here too on Wednesday evening. I arrived home last night and am eager to see the garden this morning…just waiting for the sunrise!

I thought these were a different kind than Drumstick–now I wonder where the others are! I’ve had a hard times getting allium well-established, but probably I don’t have them in the right spot. Also, the moles seem to like them.

Thanks Michael. I have one other hybrid. I made the mistake of planting a common roadside daylily in the garden when I first moved here to fill in until I could get some more special ones and am still trying to get rid of them. I actually love the way they look but they began to spread out of control.

8. Annette

I wish this foxglove would return for me every year as I love the colour. My allium s. are about to open, hems have started. Very dry here and when I got back after a week my poor garden was so thirsty.

9. P&B

Such a lovely color of Day lily. I hope to get rid of my wild day lilies and plant some nice colors like yours but having it tough trying to find the time. Any little bits left underground will grow back next year too.

I read in a gardening book to use the wild roadside daylily as a placeholder until you could afford to purchase an special hybrid. What bad advice that was. I have the same problem as you in trying to get rid of them now.

10. Donna@GardensEyeView

I love that daylily…it would look great in my red garden 🙂 We are lucky not having heat with dry conditions…our dry days are only in the 70s…they say our summer will be cooler and I am thinking it may be indeed.