Rainy Spring Morning

Another rainy Saturday morning means I will not be working in the garden today. This year I have spent much less time outside preparing the borders than in previous years, partly due to prolonged winter and partly due to my own lack of motivation. My inertia is slowly being replaced with interest and anticipation now and I am beginning to look forward to some productive days reconnecting with my garden.

Garden View In Early Morning Rain-March 29, 2014

Garden View In Early Morning Rain-March 29, 2014

Looking down upon the garden from an upstairs window I can see the garden is starting to awaken.  I am not a huge proponent of grass, but this week the fescue lawn seemed to turn green and grow inches overnight. It looked lush and lovely after the first mowing of the year.

I removed one of the leaning junipers against the back fence yesterday, thinking the other would recover, but this morning it is leaning to the left again. I don’t come to these decisions easily even when the evidence is so clear, but okay, it has to go too.

The winter has been colder and more prolonged than in years past. I began wondering how today’s garden view compares to recent years.  As I already admitted, I am behind on garden tasks so the weeding, trimming and mulching has not been completed this year. Interestingly, many of the other photographs from this time of year were also of early spring rainy mornings.

2011. Here is the garden with the meditation circle under construction.

2011.  Meditation Garden Circle-March 24, 2011

2011. Meditation Garden Circle-March 24, 2011

2012. Spring was extremely early in 2012 and the garden advance quickly that year.

2012.  Meditation Garden On Rainy Spring Morning-March 24, 2012

2012. Meditation Garden On Rainy Spring Morning-March 24, 2012

2013. Last year spring was cool.

2013.  Garden View-March 31, 2013

2013. Garden View-March 31, 2013

2014. Waiting.

2014  Spiraea flowers

2014
Spiraea flowers

20 thoughts on “Rainy Spring Morning

Thanks Michael. This fescue is a cool-season and will suffer when we start getting lots of heat and humidity, then pick back up in fall.

I always love seeing how gardens change. Your fence seems like it made such a difference in enclosing the garden and defining the outlines, in the picture at least it makes the garden look bigger.
    I can’t wait until the grass here greens up. It’s raining now and above freezing all week so I think the color green will be making a comeback soon 🙂

The fence has helped keep deer out (although they can still jump it, they tend to go elsewhere now). I too think it makes the garden look bigger. We were limited in the style of fencing by our neighborhood’s covenants, but overall I’m glad it’s there. Bet you will start seeing green with the warmer temps. It’s a relief here.

The endless winter rain is not inspiring, hopefully warmer temperatures are on the way for you, I’m not a big fan of grass either, but yours does look good!

3. casa mariposa

It’s such a good idea to look back at old garden photos to remind ourselves of how much our gardens have progressed. I’ve never known of anyone having a meditation circle in their garden. Is it helpful?

I enjoy using the labyrinth for walking meditations, not every day, but it is very helpful and peaceful. It helps me enjoy the garden even more to have that contemplative aspect. The circle itself gives the garden a focal point that it didn’t have before.

It is great to have a record like this of how the garden develops. A blog is useful for the same purpose. Your garden is looking very neat and tidy and just ready for a bit of spring warmth for it and you to get going and have fun. I look forward to seeing it in its spring and summer dresses.

Thanks Chloris, I think warmer weather will be just the ticket. I started this blog as a way to keep records of the garden, probably many of us did. It’s wonderful how blogging has opened up for me a new world of interesting people and their gardens, supportive people who are generous with their knowledge.

5. Annette

Great to see things coming back to life and your energy will come back too. I’m feeling a bit tired as well but it also has to do with all the home-made stress we create so willingly for ourselves. Is that a redbud in the left corner? Have a nice sunday, Susie

Good eyes Annette! Yes, that is a redbud. It was temporarily placed there until we found a permanent home for it and never got moved. So it’s growing up too close to other trees, but it still blooms each spring so we enjoy it.

6. garden98110

We gardeners look at our gardening works with the eyes of workers. We see the works that need doing. The shapes, textures, and both soft and vibrant colors show how much care is in your area. Throughout the ages, this is the definition of a garden: those plants tended within our enclosed ‘yard’. It is wonderful to see. Thank you for your images.

I’m happy you enjoyed the images of my evolving garden. You’re correct that we gardeners view our gardens through the eyes of workers. I like that description–it certainly feels true. This year I’m going to remember to take time to enjoy the garden and not feel so driven by it. Enjoy your day.