Things On My Mind

Begonia 'Erythrophylla' (Beefsteak Begonia)

Begonia ‘Erythrophylla’ (Beefsteak Begonia)

Indoor Blooms

Gardening outdoors is much preferable to me so I keep very few plants inside. One exception is Begonia ‘Erythrophylla’ (Beefsteak Begonia), a plant I adore for its glossy leaves with reddish undersides.

Leaf Underside-Begonia 'Erythrophylla' (Beefsteak Begonia)

Leaf Underside-Begonia ‘Erythrophylla’ (Beefsteak Begonia)

Two years ago when I admired a fellow garden club member’s Beefsteak Begonia, she quickly offered me a cutting to take home. It soon rooted and last year bloomed in October. This year it waited until Christmas week to start sending up its first flowers—white with a bare tinge of soft pink.

Begonia 'Erythrophylla' (Beefsteak Begonia)

Begonia ‘Erythrophylla’ (Beefsteak Begonia)

Friendship Bouquet

A cherished bouquet from dear friends arrived during the holidays, formed of a crimson vase of red Alstroemeria paired with white Chrysanthemums. The arrangement brightened the house and the hearts within.

2013 Christmas Floral Gift

Table Centerpiece

Our daughter is an industrial designer turned architect with a keen aesthetic sense. For Mother’s  Day one year she presented me with a unique walnut centerpiece for the table that I adore.  The walnut board she used was one she had rescued from a scrap pile, discarded because it had a serious crack running through the center.

This very flaw she turned into a feature by slightly enlarging the crack and carving portions of the inner and outer edges for textural interest. The centerpiece flares out slightly at either end. She creatively spaced holes that are suitable for tea candles. Conveniently, shot glasses fit also and can be used to hold blossoms.

2013 Christmas Table Decoration-2

I use this art piece year-round to hold candles and special flowers that usually come from my garden. Sweet William, echinacea, gardenias, camellia blossoms, yarrow, roses, spirea and daffodils all make lovely, informal miniature arrangements, especially when complemented by sprigs of lavender, artemisia or other greenery.

During the holidays the garden had very few blooms that were not damaged by various cold snaps, so I purchased Alstroemeria to use with silver leaves of lavender for a simple combination.

2013 Christmas Table Decoration-3 2013 Christmas Table Decoration-4 2013 Christmas Table Decoration-5

Garden Truths In Strange Places

Out of habit I usually buy unpatterned paper towels without dyes, but somehow before the holidays I ended up with a package featuring a design edged in flowers. Upon opening I found these towels speak to me!

This sheet bears the reminders No two days are the same in one garden and No two gardens are the same. Who knew paper towels came with a smile?

Garden Quotes Paper Towel

26 thoughts on “Things On My Mind

1. Judy @ GrandparentsPlus2

Love the post. I only have three indoor plants – two were gifts from a dear friend now gone and one is 36 years old and I can’t imagine getting rid of it. And, your table centerpiece is gorgeous and holds such wonderful memories for you while providing such a wonderful addition to your beautiful dining room table.. What a great gift! And, I love the paper towel and its message. 🙂

2. Flora Weather

Your Begonia looks nice. Mine looks more like lace than a plant 😦 my cat has taken to biting the leaves. The Alstroemerias look very bright and cheery. Great centerpiece!

3. P&B

Lovely Begonia you have. I have no luck growing them since they tend to rot. I guess I water them too much. You have such a talented daughter. Looking at the flower arrangements, I know where she inherited her creativity from.

The woman who gave me the Begonia warned it didn’t like much water. Suits my indoor gardening style which is to ignore it a lot, then give it a small drink of water when I finally remember. Our daughter is a joy.

The begonia flowers are so dainty and delicate-looking – very pretty. I don’t have many indoor plants either, but I bought myself a Christmas cactus! It’s flowering now and is almost the same shade as yours, so thank you for that post again! And I do like that walnut table decoration – your daughter has talent AND taste. Those Alstroemeria go very well with the walnut colour. Love the message on the kitchen paper too!

Oh, so glad you are enjoying your new Christmas cactus. That’s exciting. The walnut centerpiece is versatile and fun, just like our doughtier! Thanks. Susie

Your centre piece is fantastic, being a woodcarver myself I can appreciate the work that has gone into it, your daughter is so talented, lucky Mum! Love the messages on your paper towels, very apt for a gardener!

Thanks Pauline, yes I am lucky. I like your sculpture in the garden very much–working with wood must be rewarding. Both my grandfathers and my father were cabinetmakers so I must say, I was excited when our daughter took up making furniture. She is an architect now, but I have some fine sculptures, tables and even a tall cherry cabinet built specifically for my foyer. They’re all beautiful and of course, special because she made them.

Your walnut board is lovely, what a great gift from your daughter. I am much better with plants outside than in, so I haven’t any apart from herbs, your Begonia looks wonderfully healthy!

7. Marian St.Clair

Fabulous centerpiece! Orange alstroemeria lily is my favorite cut flower. At Publics, where I get a sleeve almost every week, the cashier says I’m the only person who likes that color. Now I have proof she is wrong!

Thanks Marian. The centerpiece is a playground for making quick arrangements. The orange alstroemeria is so cheery. Glad the store continues to stock that color for you.

That’s a great table setting, your daughter has done a wonderful job! Good for you to bring the cut flowers home and cheer up the indoors with some bright new colors. It’s just what this season needs.

The trick is this plant is eager to root apparently, either in water or directly in the soil. So glad you enjoy my blog. I very much enjoy following your own.

Very kind of you Charlie. I find that plant difficult to photograph for some reason, more so than many others, but I just love the red undersides of the begonia leaves. Happy new year to you!