Vermilion Cascade

Draping Red Berries

Can someone identify the source of these spectacular branches, dripping in red berries?

I parked in front of a fence at the bank this afternoon and waited for my husband to complete a transaction. Fiddling with radio stations I sat in the car for several minutes before finally looking around and noticing these berries shouting out for attention.

Here  are a couple more pictures that better show the leaves.

Draping Red Berries-2

Draping Red Berries-3

New Ergonomic Pruners

Two more red items were among my favorite gifts on Christmas morning—Felco 8 Classic Pruners and Corona Floral Snips.

Pruners: Felco 8 (top) and Corona Floral Snips

Pruners: Felco 8 (top) and Corona Floral Snips

During a wreath-making workshop a few weeks ago I dropped and broke the handle of my inexpensive but trusty flower clippers. The new Corona Floral Snips Corona Floral snips have a built-in wire cutter and thorn stripper that will be useful when I am working on floral arrangements.

The Felcos I learned about through Carolyn’s excellent tools article and can only hope mine last as long as hers, which she has had for over thirty years.

I am actually looking forward to tackling some pruning jobs now. Thanks Santa!

29 thoughts on “Vermilion Cascade

How festive those berries are! I am pretty sure it’s Pyracantha – our neighbours have a wonderful specimen.
    I also received some new tools from Santa… clever how he knew what we wanted! 😉

Cathy, I think you’re right. Don’t know why I didn’t recognize it but it didn’t look as thorny as I remember pyracantha being. Enjoy your new garden tools–what fun!

Thanks Michael. It is taller than I’ve ever seen, but I did look it up and Pyracantha can get to 12 feet. Yes, the tools will be great fun. Happy New Year!

2. P&B

Those are some great looking berries. I first thought they were Sea-buckthorn ( also comes in red variety) until I checked on Pyracantha. I think that what it is – Pyracantha.

Thanks for looking it up for me. I agree it must be Pyracantha. It’s vexing why I didn’t recognize it as I have seen it all my life, but never that tall. Happy New Year! Susie

To start with I was thinking Cotoneaster, but then when I saw the leaves on the last photo, decided Pyracantha like everyone else.
    I hope you’re pleased with your secateurs, I have the same make and they have lasted such a long time now, what a super present!

Thanks for helping ID the Pyracantha and confirming the choice of the new Felcos. I’m super-excited about tidying the garden now. Happy New Year Pauline! Susie

That is quite the show! You have me thinking that a pyracantha might be a good choice for my own garden.
    The thorns are the only memory I have from my parent’s plantings. It might be time to get over that and give it another go.
    Santa was good to you 😉

5. greenbenchramblings

Sorry I forgot to comment on the Felco secateurs. I had a pair when I was 21 and they broke last year when i reached 62 so they lasted 41 years. I repaired them and am using them again but just for light work.

Yes, the birds should be happy with these berries. There was an interested squirrel hanging around as well. Hope you have a Happy New Year too Julie!

Definitely Firethorn: Pyracantha coccinea. The berries are beautiful but the thorns are absolutely vicious.
    Felcos are just the best.
    Happy Gardening in 2014
    2014

Chloris, thanks for helping identify this plant–the thorns are something I don’t want to add to my own garden. And another Felco owner! They must be the best.
      Happy Gardening to you also. Susie

Yes, I think the berries are dramatic, but many people have mentioned the “thorny” problem, so this shrub is something to admire from afar it seems.

7. Carolyn @ Carolyns Shade Gardens

Thanks for linking to my tool post. I am so glad it was helpful. You will have to let me know how you like the number 8 Felcos, I have number 2. They are a joy to use. I also recommended the Corona floral snips which have now become the tool I always have in my pocket. Happy New Year.

Carolyn, I was happy to provide the link and am grateful for your recommendations. I am thrilled with these tools. I expected Santa to choose between the Felco and Corona clippers, not bring both. Happy gardening in 2014! Susie

That’s a good idea–so many hybrids these days. I’ll let you know if I come across a less thorny version. Or one of my neighbors could plant one in a perfect spot where I could see it would work for me too!

8. Debbie

Wow, what a lot of berries. I’m in agreement that they look like pyracantha, too.I’d always thought pyracantha was only grown as a vine until I saw several pyracantha trees in a local parking lot. They were amazing and, in my opinion, much more interesting with their berry laden branches than any of the vines I ‘d ever seen.

9. Annette

Well done for getting such useful presents, Susie! I also love Pyracantha for their long display but they can be very giddy to deal with especially when you train them on a wall. Best in a wild hedge…definitely keeps the burglars away 😉